• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AviatorAdam

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AviatorAdam
PoA Members,

Just want to see how many of you currently have ADS-B equipped aircraft. Also, how many of you are actively seeking ADS-B equipment to meet the mandate?

I may be able to help some of you out :goofy:

Have you got a magic box? I plan to quiz all the vendors at Oshkosh and then make a decision.

Looking for the absolute minimum cost solution to meet the regulations given that I am starting with just an old style mode C transponder (KT-76) and no GPS anything.

Watcha got?

Um - no selection for "none"?

Have had ADS-B In/Out and a Mode S xpndr for a year. See traffic everytime I get in the air. It's a neat tool. Also have subscription free weather, but it's kinda spotty.

I've started, have the G-500 and 430W, need the rest. Will probably satisfy my needs with a portable solution for now for a couple of grand, and see what happens on the certified end about the Experimental Non Commercial deal (part of that is about getting lower cost modern avionics from the experimental side to be an option to ease the economic burden) and see what is happening with equipment and costs then. It's still several years off, the FAA my have been eliminated under Sharia law by then... :D

I'm looking for something that will integrate with my Aspens to display "in" on them as well as transmit the "out".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you got a magic box? I plan to quiz all the vendors at Oshkosh and then make a decision.

Cgrab- No Magic Box in inventory right now. I will ask around my network of friends and dealers.

Looking for the absolute minimum cost solution to meet the regulations given that I am starting with just an old style mode C transponder (KT-76) and no GPS anything.

Watcha got?

Geoffrey,

I will look into some solutions and PM you with more information. :)

Have had ADS-B In/Out and a Mode S xpndr for a year. See traffic everytime I get in the air. It's a neat tool. Also have subscription free weather, but it's kinda spotty.

Weather data is pretty intensive in terms of bandwidth via the satellites. This coupled with the other data being received by the unit(s) will be a bit "laggy" or spotty. It's physics really..

I've started, have the G-500 and 430W, need the rest. Will probably satisfy my needs with a portable solution for now for a couple of grand, and see what happens on the certified end about the Experimental Non Commercial deal (part of that is about getting lower cost modern avionics from the experimental side to be an option to ease the economic burden) and see what is happening with equipment and costs then. It's still several years off, the FAA my have been eliminated under Sharia law by then... :D

iHenning,

You have an excellent start sir. To top it off a GTX-330 w/Extended Squitter and GDL-69 XM datalink.

Yes, the experimental side is always an option for lower-cost options. Portable solutions are also a great solution - albeit they ad little-no value to the aircraft if you plan on selling prior to 2020.

I'm looking for something that will integrate with my Aspens to display "in" on them as well as transmit the "out".

Marauder,

Send me a PM or reply to this thread with your Aspen equipment and your panel equipment list.

iHenning,

You have an excellent start sir. To top it off a GTX-330 w/Extended Squitter and GDL-69 XM datalink.

Yes, the experimental side is always an option for lower-cost options. Portable solutions are also a great solution - albeit they ad little-no value to the aircraft if you plan on selling prior to 2020.

No avionics add resale value to the plane, but I am keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 330ES box, don't really want XM.

No avionics add resale value to the plane, but I am keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 330ES box, don't really want XM.

You are mostly correct on this sir. In the end, it all comes down to what the buyer is willing to pay for the product. However, they are valued in terms of marketability. From selling/brokering aircraft on the side for the past couple of years, I have seen many planes sold/chosen by buyer strictly due to avionics. Mostly only to the guys who actually fly the planes themselves -- the more corporate guys that ride in the back and not actually fly, could care less about the avionics unless their pilot whines about it.

Watcha got?

I feel your pain. Went through this a little while ago, the short answer was "nothing". Might not fly into controlled airspace after 2020.

I feel your pain. Went through this a little while ago, the short answer was "nothing". Might not fly into controlled airspace after 2020.

KT-74 is the ADS-B upgrade to the KT-76. Slide in replacement costs around $2500. However, to support ADS-B Out capabilities it requires another connector and the new tray.

KT-74 upgrades will also need a GPS Receiver capable of interfacing with the unit.

A lower cost solution: 978 MHz UAT can suffice for those who fly below FL180. If you fly above, you must meet the 1090ES.

Last edited:
KT-74 is the ADS-B upgrade to the KT-76. Slide in replacement costs around $2500. However, to support ADS-B Out capabilities it requires another connector and the new tray.

KT-74 upgrades will also need a GPS Receiver capable of interfacing with the unit.

A lower cost solution: 978 MHz UAT can suffice for those who fly below FL180. If you fly above, you must meet the 1090ES.

There's the rub. A GPS receiver with WAAS costs more than the hull value of my aircraft installed.

none of the above - I sold the airplane rather than pour that much money into a flawed system.

Interesting. I've found just the opposite to be true. We see weather with near 100% reliability. We see traffic less often.

I have the Skyguard portable solution for now, good stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Marauder,

Send me a PM or reply to this thread with your Aspen equipment and your panel equipment list.

Aspen 2000 and a GTN 650.

I have a 530W and a KT-76 (a?) in my 182, i use a 396 for XM weather and radio, mostly radio since I don't really tackle much weather in the 182.:wink2:
I decided to put a GDL69A instead of the GDL88 in the 425 and give up the "free" weather in order to have XM radio and weather. I figure I have 6 years left and I don't really know if I'll still be flying the same airplane, 7 years is my record for ownership. :dunno:

And stay outside of the Mode C Veil and below 10,000MSL. :(

Watcha got?

Pretty much the same problem we have.

I've been looking at the FreeFlight system for a new transponder with a blind GPS reciever to provide the required data to the transponder. It's still a $7AMU investment plus installation in a basic VFR $40K single seat tow plane.

Last edited:
I have the Skyguard portable solution for now, good stuff.

Me, too. OP needs to add a poll option for "I'm taking advantage of ADSB service with uncertified / portable gear until I see better options for a 2020-certified solution."

And stay outside of the Mode C Veil and below 10,000MSL. :(

And out of G where ATC wants you transmitting. And out of air space above Class C to 10k feet where Mode C is also required.

Any G1000 installations/options for ads-b.

Me, too. OP needs to add a poll option for "I'm taking advantage of ADSB service with uncertified / portable gear until I see better options for a 2020-certified solution."

Haha, I should have added this option :mad2:

Any G1000 installations/options for ads-b.

Trepine,

Yes, a G1000 equipped aircraft will need a GTX-330ES Transponder to meet ADS-B OUT capabilities. Add a GDL-88 to the mix and you will meet ADS-B IN capabilities.

EDIT: Also the GTX33 transponder can be upgraded to support ADS-B.

Last edited:
Not as of yet that I am aware of. Even after Garmin announces the availability, the airframe manufacturer who is the STC holder needs to get it approved.

John,

There are ADS-B solutions on the market for G1000 equipped aircraft.

Regards,
AviatorAdam

I have a 530W and a KT-76 (a?) in my 182, i use a 396 for XM weather and radio, mostly radio since I don't really tackle much weather in the 182.:wink2:
I decided to put a GDL69A instead of the GDL88 in the 425 and give up the "free" weather in order to have XM radio and weather. I figure I have 6 years left and I don't really know if I'll still be flying the same airplane, 7 years is my record for ownership. :dunno:

This is a difficult decision indeed.... I have a feeling that come 2018-2019 there will be a lot of owners needing to upgrade or just selling their airplanes and moving into something already equipped to support the requirements. This is going to add a hit to the market value of the older GA aircraft which are not being upgraded between now and then. May make your airplane harder to sell or lose value because the owner will have to pay to upgrade before he can fly it to it's full potential.

Aspen 2000 and a GTN 650.

What Transponder are you using? Is it Extended Squitter compliant?

Aspen has a few different ADS-B solutions available that are compatible with the Aspen Evolution 2000.

The GDL-88 will support ADS-B compatibility when interfaced with the GTN-650.

You have two routes to choose from..... Both at about the same price point in the end. Let me know which route you wish to take and I would be happy to send a quote.

What Transponder are you using? Is it Extended Squitter compliant?

Aspen has a few different ADS-B solutions available that are compatible with the Aspen Evolution 2000.

The GDL-88 will support ADS-B compatibility when interfaced with the GTN-650.

You have two routes to choose from..... Both at about the same price point in the end. Let me know which route you wish to take and I would be happy to send a quote.

My transponder is a Mode C. My understanding is that the Aspen ADS-B offerings still have not hit the street yet.

The GDL-88 will display on the GTN but will not port ADS-B "in" data to the Aspens. Would be smart of Garmin to do so. Including releasing of their software updates to allow it to work on their own glass (G500/600 series).

My transponder is a Mode C. My understanding is that the Aspen ADS-B offerings still have not hit the street yet.

The GDL-88 will display on the GTN but will not port ADS-B "in" data to the Aspens. Would be smart of Garmin to do so. Including releasing of their software updates to allow it to work on their own glass (G500/600 series).

I believe the ADS-B solutions by Aspen have been released. I want to say it was at a recent event, maybe AEA Annual? I will double check with my Aspen dealer.

Why would that be smart? It would cost them sales of G-500/600 units.

Why would that be smart? It would cost them sales of G-500/600 units.

They have already lost those G500/600 sales to those of us who bought Aspens. FreeFlight or someone else will fill the void.

Back