ADS-B single box compliance

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
Plane has a King mode C transponder and a non-WAAS IFR GPS. Looking at compliance (out only). Doesn't mind if it has in but doesn't need a display (although if someone has an ADS-B transponder with display ok if its cost competitive). Plane doesnt have any more room on the panel for gauges nor does it have any room for another box in the stack (its a tandem taildragger with limited space). Hangared under the mode C veil. Just want to be compliant really. Out to a built in display in the transponder or out to an Ipad would be ok. Not necessary though.

Obviously going to need a GPS WAAS antennae. (probably the hardest part of the install). Seems like replacing the King transponder with an ADS-B one and installing an antennae is going to be the minimal solution. Use the current transponder antennae if possible. Doesnt fly above FL18.

Trying to stay around $3000.

Perhaps this?

http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/ads-b/978/rangr-transmitter
RANGR Lite FDL-978-TXL

EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR RULE COMPLIANCE UNDER $2,000.

• Priced at $1,995 - system includes built-in WAAS/GPS, ADS-B and GPS antennas, installation kit, and control head
  • TSO certified for complete ADS-B Out 2020 compliance
  • AML STC for general aviation aircraft
  • Keep your existing transponder
  • We keep you flying - backed by an industry leading warranty and excellent customer support

Last edited:
L3 has a ADS-B Out solution with WAAS positioning. It's just a box.

The Garmin GDL-84 is pretty close, thought it does use an iPad you probably already have as a display for weather and traffic. $3995.

The TXL version is under $2k, but gives none of the ADS-B traffic or weather benefits. It's OUT only, has no capability to display anything. Cheap, but doesn't do anything to enhance safety, it just lets you fly in ADS-B required airspace.
Re-read post #1. OP asked for "Out" only.
For my money I'd rather spend more to get actual benefits beyond just flying in 2020 to the same locations can I go to now.

I too would select an In/Out solution once it's time to install a permanently mounted item.

"Combo" units (combines transponder with IN/OUT features) are an interesting approach... There are already a few solutions such as the Lynx in the marketplace and I wonder if we'll see more.

I like the idea, esp since there are a LOT of XPDRs out there that are about ready to be replaced. Their top-end units really are pretty slick and all things considered deliver quite the bang for the buck. That said, if you already have a newer XPDR and a 430W, using one of the Garmin GDL units might be a better way to go....

Re-read post #1. OP asked for "Out" only.

I too would select an In/Out solution once it's time to install a permanently mounted item.

Or, go with the cheap "out" solution + an iPad or iPhone and the $125 DIY "in" box.

Last edited:
Plane has room for a behind the panel box, but not an in the stack box.

Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. If you don't have a GTX 327 or 330, you need a new box on the panel for the Lynx unit. Apparently, you don't for the RANGR unit (I think). Seems like the winner for you.

If you are under the class C airspace and have no need to go in it you will not be required to have ADS-B out. If you are under class B that is another matter. You only will need "out" where a transponder is required now.

I'm based at a Class C and I plan to go with the Freeflight "out" box in the tail and use my Raspberry Pi for "in" to my tablet.

It sure seems that prices are coming down and features are going up. With another 4 1/2 years to go, sitting tight to see what comes down the pipe looks like a good strategy.

Back