ADS-B Rebate reservation form is LIVE

The reservation form just went live 5 minutes ago. Original communications said it would be this afternoon, but they opened it early. Got my reservation done here:

https://adsbrebate.faa.gov/RebateReservation.aspx

I was confused by the wording that the FAA used: "Will install avionics within 90 days of reservation". Is the reservation the day you fill out the form? I guess I'm a little slow, but after some research, I found the following at http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/media/ADS-B_Rebate_Program_Rules.pdf:

"The Rebate Reservation web application will only accept scheduled installation dates within 90 calendar days from the reservation date"

Since the earliest we can get an installation is January/February, we can't submit a Rebate Reservation Request until October/November. Hope they don't go too quickly.

Thanks for the heads up.
I got mine in the works.
Just so happened, I am flying out in 45 min to get my new Garmin 345 and Flightstream 210 installed this week.

Thanks for the heads up.
I got mine in the works.
Just so happened, I am flying out in 45 min to get my new Garmin 345 and Flightstream 210 installed this week.

Hope you don't have a GMX MFD. They don't all play well together.

I was confused by the wording that the FAA used: "Will install avionics within 90 days of reservation". Is the reservation the day you fill out the form? I guess I'm a little slow, but after some research, I found the following at http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/media/ADS-B_Rebate_Program_Rules.pdf:

"The Rebate Reservation web application will only accept scheduled installation dates within 90 calendar days from the reservation date"

Since the earliest we can get an installation is January/February, we can't submit a Rebate Reservation Request until October/November. Hope they don't go too quickly.

Just heard that we got a reservation for January 16. The avionics shop recommends giving a couple weeks of leeway after the reserved installation date for delays, etc., so that means we can make a reservation after October 18 and probably on November 1. It would be interesting to see how many rebate reservations have been made so far.

My 696 will not show traffic but it does have XM weather.

You should consider dumping the XM and getting a GDL39 to show ADS-B IN information on the 696. Pays for itself in ~18 months of the basic XM subscription cost.

This whole rebate thing aggravates me.

FAA says: "Y'all GA pilots have to buy a $3500 box, and pay someone ~$1,000 to put it in and do our paperwork. We won't hold the military to this because they have too many planes"

Then they say: "Y'all GA pilots, maybe we went too far. We'll rebate you ~10% of the cost to do this. Y'all taxpayers - look - we HAVE to give the GA pilots $10,000,000 in the interest of safety. It only helps 20,000 planes, hopefully the truly needy pilots will apply first so none of your tax dollars will go to the typical rich pilot"

There. I've vented. Now I'm going to register for the rebate like a dutiful needy pilot.

I was just on the site. I plan to use the NavWorx product as it is the best value for me. However, the product cannot be chosen on the FAA rebate form. More corporate welfare for Garmin, L3, and Honeywell? Navworx product is listed as approved. They don't answer the phone for me today.
Hopefully they are getting an injunction against the FAA for leaving them off the list.

I contacted an avionics shop that has done some work for me in the past on Saturday. They sent an email about an ADS-B seminar they are having, I replied that I wanted to install it in my 182, I included the N number and all my info, please contact me.............................Nothing as of noon on Tuesday???????????? Just bitching :rolleyes:

You should consider dumping the XM and getting a GDL39 to show ADS-B IN information on the 696. Pays for itself in ~18 months of the basic XM subscription cost.
I like having both XM and ADS-B weather on board. I know XM comes with a cost but I like multiple backups.

I was just on the site. I plan to use the NavWorx product as it is the best value for me. However, the product cannot be chosen on the FAA rebate form. More corporate welfare for Garmin, L3, and Honeywell? Navworx product is listed as approved. They don't answer the phone for me today.
Hopefully they are getting an injunction against the FAA for leaving them off the list.

@John Schreiber : Just pick something else that is on their list... you can change it later to anything on the approved list, when you submit your performance report / rebate claim form.

From their FAQ's:

What if different equipment is installed on the aircraft than what was originally intended and entered on the reservation form?

Due to circumstances that may arise, aircraft owners may install different equipment than originally planned and still be eligible for the rebate so long as what is installed aligns with the program rules. The equipment that is actually installed must be entered on the Public ADS-B Performance Report request and also on the Rebate Claim Form.

Email just received:

Dear Requester: NXXXXX

Thank you for your participation in the FAA ADS-B Rebate Program.

Your rebate is now APPROVED, in accordance with the terms and conditions as set forth in the rebate program rules. You should receive a check within 4-6 weeks.​

Part of the requirement is that after installation you have to fly in FAR 91.225 airspace for at least 30 minutes. Around here that means either above 10,000' MSL, or in or above the lateral limits of the Portland Class C. Portland Approach was cooperative (and maybe a little bemused) with flight following as I meandered about above the Class C ...

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-23%20at%207.11.07%20AM%20copy_zpsnv6g19bi.jpg

Email just received:

Your rebate is now APPROVED, in accordance with the terms and conditions as set forth in the rebate program rules. You should receive a check within 4-6 weeks.​

Part of the requirement is that after installation you have to fly in FAR 91.225 airspace for at least 30 minutes. Around here that means either above 10,000' MSL, or in or above the lateral limits of the Portland Class C. Portland Approach was cooperative (and maybe a little bemused) with flight following as I meandered about above the Class C ...

Should have planned to draw a huge middle finger with your flight track. Haha.

Email just received:

Question about "Rule Airspace". The requirement said to "Fly in rule airspace for at leased 30 minutes". Would Rule Airspace be Class E?

Question about "Rule Airspace". The requirement said to "Fly in rule airspace for at leased 30 minutes". Would Rule Airspace be Class E?
"Rule Airspace" is the airspace defined in FAR 91.225, in which ADS-B out will be required after 1/1/2020. Class E would qualify if it is above 10,000' MSL (and more than 2,500' AGL), or above the ceiling of Class B or C airspace, or within a Mode C veil around a Class B airport. That's why I had to stooge around for half an hour within the confines of the lateral limit of the Portland Class C, but in E airspace above it.

I didn't understand that at first. The first time I flew after the equipment was installed, I just flew around in Class E airspace, away from the Class C, and below 10,000'. I submitted the request for report from FAA, and it said I failed because there was not enough time flown in the required airspace. So I had to go up and do it again.

If you're at Tyler, looks like you could either go up in Class E above 10,000', or fly around under the floor of Dallas Class B, within the 30-mile Mode C veil. Or over the top of the Shreveport Class C.

Last edited:
"Rule Airspace" is the airspace defined in FAR 91.225, in which ADS-B out will be required after 1/1/2020. Class E would qualify if it is above 10,000' MSL (and more than 2,500' AGL), or above the ceiling of Class B or C airspace, or within a Mode C veil around a Class B airport. That's why I had to stooge around for half an hour within the confines of the lateral limit of the Portland Class C, but in E airspace above it.

I didn't understand that at first. The first time I flew after the equipment was installed, I just flew around in Class E airspace, away from the Class C, and below 10,000'. I submitted the request for report from FAA, and it said I failed because there was not enough time flown in the required airspace. So I had to go up and do it again.
I wonder why about 10000 feet in Class E?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/NavWorx-Disputing-FAA-Rebate-Rejection-227022-1.html

Email just received:

I got my rebate approval on Thursday. Only 4 to 6 weeks to receive a check.

Back