ADS-B question

jonrood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jonrood
I'm installing a Garmin GDL 88 instead of active traffic, and I know by 2020 most of us will have ADS-B out. My question is until then, will my system display mode c traffic as well?

Anyone flying with the system? What do you think??

Thanks,
Jon

I'm installing a Garmin GDL 88 instead of active traffic, and I know by 2020 most of us will have ADS-B out. My question is until then, will my system display mode c traffic as well?

Anyone flying with the system? What do you think??

Thanks,
Jon

Yes with two important caveats. The target aircraft must have either mode A/C transponder or a mode S transponder with altitude reporting. You must be within line of sight of the ground station. Currently most of the traffic will be mode C traffic.

John, I'm probably wrong, but I thought if I was not near a ground station but near an ADS-B Out equipped airplane I would receive all the traffic information they see, like a repeater.

Or would I only see the guys actually sending the OUT signals?

If they are in radar coverage, the contact will broadcast the threat.

John, I'm probably wrong, but I thought if I was not near a ground station but near an ADS-B Out equipped airplane I would receive all the traffic information they see, like a repeater.

Or would I only see the guys actually sending the OUT signals?

That would be nice, but it does not work that way. The ground station is the repeater for radar detected mode A/C traffic that are not equipped. You will see ADS-B Out equipped aircraft regardless if you are also line of sight to a ground station. But to see mode A/C traffic, you need to have ADS-B Out equipment installed on your aircraft and you must have an appropriate receiver. The traffic the ground station broadcasts is based on your location or the location of an aircraft that has ADS-B Out installed.

Back