ADS-B Out and FlightAware type apps

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have finished my ADS-B install UAT 978 Freeflight system. The tests received back from the FAA show that the system is functioning correctly. My question is why can't anyone see me on apps like Flight Aware or Flight Radar 24? I mean the ADS-B ground stations are receiving me why would I not show up? Other planes flying around me (20 miles or so away) showed up but not me..

Do those applications only rely on receivers separate from the FAA stations? I was being hit by radar and transmitting my ads-b out too but never showed up ..

Is this normal ?

Should not have to be on flight plan for Flight Radar 24.. They say live ads-b traffic. The odd thing is I used to show up on both when I filed a flight plan or used flight following but haven't since January of this year no matter where I fly.. odd ! My tail number isn't blocked either)

Not all VFR traffic shows 100% of the time on FlightAware, but IFR does (with certain limitations)...never used Flight Radar. I only know what the FAQ says...as well as my experience using the site for seven years.

I would guess that most of the fr24/flightaware receivers are listening on 1090.

I would say you are correct...from the FlightRadar24 website:

"Flightradar24 has a network of more than 8,000 ADS-B receivers around the world that receive flight information from aircraft with ADS-B transponders and send this information to our servers. Due to the high frequency used (1090 MHz) the coverage from each receiver is limited to about 250-450 km (150-250 miles) in all directions depending on location. The farther away from the receiver an aircraft is flying, the higher it must fly to be covered by the receiver. The distance limit makes it very difficult to get ADS-B coverage over oceans."

That and the fact that they are based in Sweden. 978 is pretty much a US only thing.

Back