ADS-B + iPad useful for VFR flying?

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
I just got my private license and fly around the Bay Area. Most flights are well under 200sm. Would one of the ADS-B options like the Garmin or Stratus be worthwhile? I already have the iPad mini, and absolutely love it for both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. During my training I used ForeFlight, but now am trying a subscription to Garmin Pilot.

Thoughts?

Hi Derek and welcome to the forum.

I'm a flight instructor in Florida and use the XGPS150, iPad2, and foreflight. I can't justify to spend $800 for the stratus in combination with foreflight therefore, I always check the weather along my route before each flight (aviationweather.gov and http://maps.avnwx.com/).

I use my iphone 5 and foreflight mobile to get the latest metars and myradar to see the location of heavy precipitation. If you use flight following, the controllers may notify you of heavy precip and vector you around it.

Good luck with your decision.
Darren

Thanks Darren. I love gadgets, so I was leaning towards getting it, but in thinking more, I never really fly when conditions are poor or marginal (and no aspirations for an IR yet), so likely the radar will always be clear. Traffic is interesting, but it seems like I won't see much since my plane isn't ADS-B Out equipped. I know you can piggyback on commercial traffic to some extent--any idea if that would work/be useful in a very busy SFO Class B environment? There are nearly always commercial planes nearby.

I just got my private license and fly around the Bay Area. Most flights are well under 200sm. Would one of the ADS-B options like the Garmin or Stratus be worthwhile? I already have the iPad mini, and absolutely love it for both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. During my training I used ForeFlight, but now am trying a subscription to Garmin Pilot.

Thoughts?

Absolutely.

You'll be able to use METARs to check weather in the air after takeoff but before you're within range to receive AWOS/ATIS broadcasts. If winds or anything else drop below your personal minimums, you can divert or just turn around and go home without needing to make the rest of the trip (and pay for it).

Speaking of which, it'll make planning that diversion MUCH easier, as you can get a representation of winds, ceilings, visibility, etc. at a glance. (FWIW, I'm speaking from the perspective of using Stratus/ForeFlight - I have no experience with the Garmin or other products.)

Makes sense.

Any opinions on Garmin vs. Stratus? I have already ruled out WingX.

Thanks Darren. I love gadgets, so I was leaning towards getting it, but in thinking more, I never really fly when conditions are poor or marginal (and no aspirations for an IR yet), so likely the radar will always be clear. Traffic is interesting, but it seems like I won't see much since my plane isn't ADS-B Out equipped. I know you can piggyback on commercial traffic to some extent--any idea if that would work/be useful in a very busy SFO Class B environment? There are nearly always commercial planes nearby.

In flight weather is very useful, especially around the west coast, where you are. I check weather before I go, but sometimes it is a two or three hour flight (like to SBA) and they are predicting the marine layer to lift in time, but it doesn't always cooperate. With in flight weather, you can choose to divert to a more inland airport and wait for the layer to lift.

Any opinions on Garmin vs. Stratus? I have already ruled out WingX.

I prefer ForeFlight. I don't trust Garmin in this arena - I think they're attempting to kill off the smaller, more competitive companies so that they can return to their traditional aviation pricing model (aka rape!).

Full disclosure: I am a beta tester for ForeFlight (unpaid). Yeah, I like the product enough that I volunteered to help make it better.

I love foreflight and have been thinking of adding the Stratus box as well.

My only hesitation is I think it's smart to get in flight WX via flight watch, etc. before relying on the Stratus. Receiving airborne WX the "old fashioned" are great skills to master before using the convenience of the stratus.

Stratus and ForeFlight will not depict traffic, only FIS-B (weather) information.
Stratus only works with Foreflight.

Garmin reciever will work with Garmin Pilot and I think another program. Garmin products will display LIMITED traffic information. But only if traffic near you has ADS-B OUT and triggers a ground station for a TIS-B broadcast.

The Garmin product will pick up and display the TIS-B data. It has limitations. If you are 14 miles from the aircraft that triggers the TIS-B you'll pick up traffic within 15 miles of his location. If there is traffic 2 miles the other way, it will not be displayed.

I am not familiar with DUAL products and software interfaces.

Stratus and ForeFlight will not depict traffic

At this time, anyway - And for very good reason. It just doesn't work most of the time, when it does work it gives an incomplete picture, and there's no sense in giving people a false sense of security or a product that rarely works.

Garmin reciever will work with Garmin Pilot and I think another program.

Until the next time Garmin comes out with an update and changes the protocol to avoid the competition from other apps.

I've read issues about the Stratus and overheating, is that overblown?

Also, is now a bad time to buy? Any new products in the pipe?

I've read issues about the Stratus and overheating, is that overblown?

Also, is now a bad time to buy? Any new products in the pipe?

Haven't seen it yet... And who knows. :dunno: If only there were as many pilots as there are Apple fans, we'd have sites like garminrumors.com by now...

I prefer ForeFlight. I don't trust Garmin in this arena - I think they're attempting to kill off the smaller, more competitive companies so that they can return to their traditional aviation pricing model (aka rape!).

Full disclosure: I am a beta tester for ForeFlight (unpaid). Yeah, I like the product enough that I volunteered to help make it better.

How did you get to become a beta tester? I am a software developer and would love to help them as well.

How did you get to become a beta tester? I am a software developer and would love to help them as well.

Well, I was a plain old user, and I made a bunch of suggestions for improvement and caught a couple of bugs early on. As long as I keep catching bugs, hopefully they'll keep me.

Of course, I have a knack for breaking things that run on electrons. :D

Well, I was a plain old user, and I made a bunch of suggestions for improvement and caught a couple of bugs early on. As long as I keep catching bugs, hopefully they'll keep me.

Of course, I have a knack for breaking things that run on electrons. :D

Very cool. Would you have any interest in testing the aviation weather app I am working on?

WingX only?

Sadly, it's everything but Foreflight. I like Foreflight better then any other flight tool, but that box will give you synthetic vision as well.

I might use less desirable software for the hardware (once it comes out and I can read some reviews on it)

Until the next time Garmin comes out with an update and changes the protocol to avoid the competition from other apps.
I hate being suspicious about things like that but the potential for being locked in to them is what will probably keep me away from Garmin in the ADS-B world.

I just subscribed to Garmin for a year (+SafeTaxi, but I think that was a waste), so that might have been wasted then. I think ADS-B might be nice, but I hate to spend that much and lock myself into a piece of software, and of course miss out on any upcoming devices. The iLevil just sounds a bit amateur on the surface, but perhaps they will put out a quality, reasonably priced product?

I just subscribed to Garmin for a year (+SafeTaxi, but I think that was a waste), so that might have been wasted then. I think ADS-B might be nice, but I hate to spend that much and lock myself into a piece of software, and of course miss out on any upcoming devices. The iLevil just sounds a bit amateur on the surface, but perhaps they will put out a quality, reasonably priced product?

I'm in the wait and see mode as well. I bought the ForeFlight first and flew with it for several months and then bought the Garmin. I like the Garmin GUI better, but like the ForeFlight routing feature. I want to see what comes of this market. Paying $799 for antennae when cheaper solutions may be available later could be a big waste of money.

We all need to have our planes ADS-B in a few years. I wonder if any of the avionics manufacturers are looking into a Bluetooth or WiFi feed off of the plane installed box that could support both the legal requirements and also portable users. Now that would be worth it...

Back