ADS-B IN Tracking Own Aircraft

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Just thinking about equippage; anybody know what provisions exist to keep GD39 and Garmin Pilot from seeing own aircraft when its equipped with ADS-B out?

Thks

I don't know the specific algorithm for the GDL39, but presume it determines the ADS-B Own Ship by the distance the own ship is from the GDL39, both laterally and vertically.

Dunno either, but on WingX's last update Hilton says he added an anti-ghosting fix. Have yet to fly w latest version.
Ghosts can be scary

Thanks, that should have been GDL39 too.

Sometimes when I make a steep turn or descend greater than 1000fpm I will see my own target using the gdl39 and the lovely warning "TRAFFIC"

Sometimes when I make a steep turn or descend greater than 1000fpm I will see my own target using the gdl39 and the lovely warning "TRAFFIC"

At times I see my own plane as well. There is a "own ship" detection capability in the Connext setup screens but it doesn't say how it is used.

8e5848897d5f5ac4443a1c2ea400f510.jpg

Own ship detection is used to filter out any TISB, ADSR, or ADS-B that contains the aircraft ID of your ADS-B Out unit. If you don't have ADS-B Out installed in your aircraft, own ship is not likely to be detected or at best it would be intermittent. If you do have ADS-B Out installed, every second or so, you are broadcasting your position and it would show up as a target. By detecting own ship, these are filtered out.

You have to wonder why it's just not hard coded into the apps in the first place, don't see a reason why I would want to see my own craft

You have to wonder why it's just not hard coded into the apps in the first place, don't see a reason why I would want to see my own craft
Your comment makes no sense. How can you avoid seeing your own ship if you have a portable ADS-B receiver?

You can recognize your own ship if you have ADS-B Out by receiving your own aircraft identifier in the broadcast and recognizing it as such. Otherwise you are seeing a ground broadcast of a TISB report of your aircraft generated by the GBT on the behalf of some other aircraft that is an ADS-B client. What in that TISB report is unique to your aircraft? How do you determine if it is your ship and should be ignored or a nearby one that is a collision threat?

Your comment makes no sense. How can you avoid seeing your own ship if you have a portable ?

If sounds like a lot of people with an out solution are seeing their own aircraft/ghost on ipad apps like FF and WingX, WingX recently added logic to their software to ignore the ghost image your own out solution is creating. It is a common issue with portable solutions like ipad apps, so my comment was directed towards the screen shot that was previously posted as to why there is an option to switch out this own ship filtering.... Why would you want to see your own ghost return ?

If sounds like a lot of people with an out solution are seeing their own aircraft/ghost on ipad apps like FF and WingX, WingX recently added logic to their software to ignore the ghost image your own out solution is creating. It is a common issue with portable solutions like ipad apps, so my comment was directed towards the screen shot that was previously posted as to why there is an option to switch out this own ship filtering.... Why would you want to see your own ghost return ?

I don't think the screen shot is one of a switch, but it is the status indicating if own ship has been detected. If it is detected, then the other data is displayed. I agree that there would not be a reason for this to be an option. Detecting own ship is based on an algorithm, like so many position reports that have a latitude and longitude near the one detected by the receiver GPS. Altitude of the target also is likely to figure in,

Back