ADS-B in: Garmin vs Stratus?

whereisrandall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Randall Williams
Hi gang,

I'm debating between a G345 ADS-B in setup and a Stratus. I've got a GNS430W already.

Am I really going to want the more expensive Garmin receiver solution for weather and targets on the tiny 430 display? Or since I almost always fly with the iPad, will it be enough to see the Stratus receiver output on my tablet?

Any thoughts most welcome.

What are you planning to do for Out? The Garmin 345 only makes sense if you are buying it for Out.

if you are only concerned about In using a panel mount device seems unnecessarily expensive.

I've been playing with the same thought recently. I think I've landed on Stratus for the IN component, for a few reasons.

1. It's nice to have the targets on the panel displays, but I hear most 480 owners say that they turn the traffic off, the screens are already cluttered at times without traffic. I'm assuming the 430 would have a similar challenge.

2. The ipad mini is right there, and has a nice high res display and plenty of space to show relevant traffic

3. Although the 345 has AHRS for Foreflight, the stratus has a battery making it independent of any electrical system failures in an emergency, which is really the only time I would ever want to use it.

So I think it's going to be a cheaper out solution and a stratus for me.

If you opt Garmin, I think you are stuck with FF and pilot for apps.

If you opt Garmin, I think you are stuck with FF and pilot for apps.
Only the 345. If you go Out only (335) then you can use the Stratux with most of the apps. Plus it's not locked into the iPad.

Hi gang,

I'm debating between a G345 ADS-B in setup and a Stratus. I've got a GNS430W already.

Am I really going to want the more expensive Garmin receiver solution for weather and targets on the tiny 430 display? Or since I almost always fly with the iPad, will it be enough to see the Stratus receiver output on my tablet?

Any thoughts most welcome.
Do you have a King transponder? Look at Trig Avionics.

I am not a fan of a portable device for traffic. I would rather have traffic displayed on the GNS430W if I had to make a choice. With the GTX345, you can have your cake and eat it. Traffic and weather on both the GNS430W and on your iPad. Even with the small display of the GNS430W, it is superior to a portable for traffic. The installation of the GTX345 also includes audio alerts, so you don't need to be looking at the GNS430W to get one to wake you up to the potential conflict. "Traffic 12 oclock, less than a mile, same altitude" wakes me up regardless of where I am looking. Traffic call outs on portable devices are not as sophisticated as those on the GTX345/GNS430W/Audio panel. They are typically distance and altitude based and don't take into account the relative speed of the target or the fact that it may be climbing/descending thru your altitude. So if you really care about traffic, I would not depend on a portable.

Back