ADS-B in: Can I see my own airplane

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
At annual last month I had a Skybeacon installed. Seems to be working according to a check with a class B ATC. ATC said they could see it working and seemed a little annoyed so I left their airspace without anything more than a “Yeah, it is working”. For ADS-B in I am planning on getting a Sentry or Scout to work with my iPad and ForeFlight. Was wondering if I could see my own aircraft as a check if it is functioning periodically during a flight (I have heard it is not always reliable). What is interesting is that my airplane has only shown up once on Flightaware which was a week before ATC confirmed it was working. Not even the flight to check with ATC showed up on Flightaware. Any other suggestions on periodically verifying it is functioning?

I use a skybeacon, stratus, and foreflight. Not only can I see my own aircraft, there’s quite a bit of other information I can see: gps quality, skybeacon signal quality, etc

Signing up at Flightaware was exactly what I needed! It does show every flight since the Skybeacon was installed. It does not show exactly what airports I flew to but has the flight paths and times. Pretty slick, thanks very much!

The ADSB machine is pretty good at tracking me now. I gotta turn on anonymous mode next time I got the cell phone close to the beacon. Of course I keep forgetting to turn on my position lights on during the day, so it hasn't been a problem ;).

The ADSB machine is pretty good at tracking me now. I gotta turn on anonymous mode next time I got the cell phone close to the beacon. Of course I keep forgetting to turn on my position lights on during the day, so it hasn't been a problem ;).
I’ve tried the anonymous mode and two things surprised me:
1) while VFR, foreflight still displays “own ship” just fine, even though my n number isn’t displayed.
2) twice now while anonymous I’ve gotten a pop-up ifr plan, switched from 1200 to a code, and then suddenly I’m getting the ForeFlight traffic warning for my own plane for the rest of the flight.
I’m not sure why ForeFlight knows it’s me while anonymous, but then doesn’t know it’s me when I put in a code. I can see myself (and even my n number) while on that pop up ifr, but ForeFlight acts like I’m conflicting traffic if I start the flight anonymous. It doesn’t do this with a pop up when I’m not starting the flight in anonymous mode. Weird.

Last edited:
I like the stratus foreflight combination for adsb in.

In ForeFlight If you go to More then Devices then open the ads-b receiver option, you will see an Ownship option that will show your n-number if your ads-b out is working. ForeFlight detects yourself and keeps it off the map.

Back