ADS-B In 978 & 1090 on Avare for $25?

JohnSBA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JohnSBA
I fly with the free open source Avare app (yes I donated) on my cheapo old 1st gen Nexus 7 with backup copies on my two S4 phones. It's so handy, the GNS430 and an old handheld aviation GPS now serve as tertiary backups. Last year I bought a $10 "thumb drive" SDR (DVB-T for Euro TV) on Amazon and downloaded the free version of the ADSB Receiver app that works great with Avare. A few minutes after the tiny SDR arrived at my house I was watching airliners on 1090 flying over the RZS VOR on one of my phones. Pretty cool, but after flying it I decided not to bother using it in flight. What I needed is all the UAT goodies (TIS-B, radar, METARs...). Still rare to see ADS-B Out below the flight levels here, but in LA hopefully the airliners' Out would trigger full UAT traffic radar display where I'm flying.

Recently a free open source app for Linux called dump978 (described in simple terms here using a complex $114 home brew setup on Foreflight) was released. Now the ADSB Receiver app developer is apparently adapting that or similar application code into his simple $2.50 app, to provide both 978 UAT & 1090 air to air on a single SDR for Avare.

If/when that happens the result will apparently be a complete ADS-B In solution (978 UAT & 1090) for a total cost of (far) less than $25 for hardware (including cables) and software. It should be simple plug 'n fly as it was for me with the same basic setup for 1090 last year. If you're a hw/sw techie, you can apparently do it now with rPi for $114 on Foreflight, and reportedly on Avare too.

So three questions come up for me:

1. Are you keenly interested in this as I am?
  2. Do you know of another <$25 solution for moving map ADS-B In?
  3. If you have UAT and not ADS-B Out, are you seeing all traffic in a Class B like the LA area or mostly just the TIS-B rebroadcast of 1090 air to air?

If you can get, for $25, what I paid $500 for:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RYZU38

And the Stratuses are what $800? Then I will be supremely jealous. However, the packaged products (ADSB + GPS) *just works* with no tinkering. I'm somewhat of a tinkerer, but not with any of this stuff.

FWIW, the ADSB-In is way too spotty to be anything more than a toy. It displays maybe 10% or 20% of actual aircraft flying around. For me, the product is worth the cost for the real time weather/radar/winds aloft/pireps. Not having to dial into ATIS anymore is the cat's milk. And the GPS, too. My tablet has an internal GPS receiver, but having this product way forward on the dash receives a better GPS signal than the tablet farther back on the yoke or my lap.

If you can get, for $25, what I paid $500 for:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RYZU38

And the Stratuses are what $800? Then I will be supremely jealous. However, the packaged products (ADSB + GPS) *just works* with no tinkering. I'm somewhat of a tinkerer, but not with any of this stuff.

FWIW, the ADSB-In is way too spotty to be anything more than a toy. It displays maybe 10% or 20% of actual aircraft flying around. For me, the product is worth the cost for the real time weather/radar/winds aloft/pireps. Not having to dial into ATIS anymore is the cat's milk. And the GPS, too. My tablet has an internal GPS receiver, but having this product way forward on the dash receives a better GPS signal than the tablet farther back on the yoke or my lap.

Not having to dial in ATIS? There's more on ATIS than the winds, viz, and altimeter setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having to dial in ATIS? There's more on ATIS than the winds, viz, and altimeter setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not when you just want to check the wx.

Back