ADS-B ghosts still around?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
On my recent trip, I had ADS-B In on a tablet in front of my co-pilot when he noticed our airplane turned yellow and another airplane showed up 100ft below us at approximately same course.
I did not want to take any chances and made a few gentle clearing turns (high wing) to see the traffic. We couldn't find anybody and the other airplane soon disappeared from the screen.
So I assume it was another ADS-B ghost of myself.

I thought they took care of these ghost airplane indications? Or are they still happening? Any way to help limit them on my side?

I had one a few days ago. It showed traffic about 100 feet directly above me. It disappeared after a few minutes.

^^^ proof of delays in the system, for the person who thought there weren't any.

Lou: Does your ADS-B receiver have a setting for entering your unique ID for your "out" so it'll filter away your "ownship" as they like call it?

Depending on what you have, there is a setting to disable this, at least my GRT has one.

So long as you receive a broadcast of your own airplane, it'll always be possible. It's up to the receiver to filter it out.

Depending on what you have, there is a setting to disable this, at least my GRT has one.
My GRT is set to eliminate them, and we still get ghosts all the time. Didn't used to, but in the last few months they must have changed something in the ground stations in South Texas.

Interestingly, we rarely if ever get them in Garmin Pilot on our Android tablets.

Depending on the In program. Stratux has a place on the configuration web page to filter out your planes hex number

Every once in awhile when I am flying late at night, off in the shadows, I catch a glimpse of a ghost... spooky!

Seriosuly though I really only see them on other aircraft very briefly sometimes when they first appear in radar coverage then beamed to me via TIS-B.. I can make it show my own target my toggling my mode c off and on..

Depending on the In program. Stratux has a place on the configuration web page to filter out your planes hex number

Which only works if you have one. If you're not Out equipped, expect to be chased by yourself once in a while.

Which only works if you have one. If you're not Out equipped, expect to be chased by yourself once in a while.
That's what I thought.
I don't have an "Out" system yet so I take it configuring the "In" would not provide any benefit?
It does not happen often but when it does, I do get spooked and start doing clearing turns. :eep:

That's what I thought.
I don't have an "Out" system yet so I take it configuring the "In" would not provide any benefit?
It does not happen often but when it does, I do get spooked and start doing clearing turns. :eep:

That's what I understand. You wouldn't have a code to filter out.

Do your ghosts usually show up behind you slightly? Something interesting to watch for.

Our ghost usually shows up in front of us, and then slides behind us.

Only to pop up again.

I talked with the guys at GRT when we were at Sun N Fun, and they claimed that the FAA had changed...something...that was messing with their ability to filter out our own signal. They told me an update was available for our system that would fix it, but I haven't got around to downloading it.

I just switch the EFIS to a different view that covers up the annoying "traffic alert" pop-up screen. lol

Jay, after I did the update, a new setting showed up to filter it out, don't remember which page right now, but it was the last item on the page. Hope that helps. Glenn

Jay, after I did the update, a new setting showed up to filter it out, don't remember which page right now, but it was the last item on the page. Hope that helps. Glenn
Great minds think alike.

I finally did the GRT Avionics update to my Horizon HXR EFIS, found the new setting for TIS-B ghosts, and voila! We are ghost-free.

Sweet!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what I understand. You wouldn't have a code to filter out.

You do have a hex code for your transponder. And you add that to the STratux web configuration page. I don't have an out and the Transponder information is picked up by the ground stations and then rebroadcast out through the ADSB Network. I have it filtered on one device and not the other.

You do have a hex code for your transponder. And you add that to the STratux web configuration page. I don't have an out and the Transponder information is picked up by the ground stations and then rebroadcast out through the ADSB Network. I have it filtered on one device and not the other.

If all you have is a Mode C transponder, you don't have a hex code.

Flightaware shows one for my plane. I entered it in on one device and don't get the shadow.

All modern aircraft are assigned a unique ICAO 24-bit address or (informally) Mode-S "hex code" upon national registration and this address becomes a part of the aircraft's Certificate of Registration. Normally, the address is never changed, however, the transponders are reprogrammable and, occasionally, are moved from one aircraft to another (presumably for operational or cost purposes), either by maintenance or by changing the appropriate entry in the aircraft's FMS system.
http://www.specializedheli.com/study-blog/2015/1/20/transponder-codes

My GRT is set to eliminate them, and we still get ghosts all the time. Didn't used to, but in the last few months they must have changed something in the ground stations in South Texas.

Interestingly, we rarely if ever get them in Garmin Pilot on our Android tablets.

Jay,

There was a recent change in the behavior of the ground station software. If your ADS-B Out system is identified as a Non Performing Emitter (NPE), meaning that it does not comply with certain 2020 mandate criteria, the ground station will generate a TISB for your position. For a normal compliant aircraft, a client does not have a TISB generated for own ship by the ground station. This will create a second target for a portable receiver, or a ghost. The reason this was done is that certified avionics are not allowed by the TSO to display a target which is from an NPE, rendering the NPE target invisible to the certified system. If this applies to your aircraft, you will need to resolve whatever issue is making your ADS-B Out to be NPE.

On my recent trip, I had ADS-B In on a tablet in front of my co-pilot when he noticed our airplane turned yellow and another airplane showed up 100ft below us at approximately same course.
I did not want to take any chances and made a few gentle clearing turns (high wing) to see the traffic. We couldn't find anybody and the other airplane soon disappeared from the screen.
So I assume it was another ADS-B ghost of myself.

I thought they took care of these ghost airplane indications? Or are they still happening? Any way to help limit them on my side?

Not if you don't have ADS-B Out. Ghosts will pop up when you are being lit up by an aircraft with ADS-B Out and you enter its hockey puck. Most systems will figure this out after a short time and suppress the ghost. Using ADS-B In without having ADS-B Out is for entertainment purposes and provides little if any traffic protection. Enjoy the entertainment.

Jay,

There was a recent change in the behavior of the ground station software. If your ADS-B Out system is identified as a Non Performing Emitter (NPE), meaning that it does not comply with certain 2020 mandate criteria, the ground station will generate a TISB for your position. For a normal compliant aircraft, a client does not have a TISB generated for own ship by the ground station. This will create a second target for a portable receiver, or a ghost. The reason this was done is that certified avionics are not allowed by the TSO to display a target which is from an NPE, rendering the NPE target invisible to the certified system. If this applies to your aircraft, you will need to resolve whatever issue is making your ADS-B Out to be NPE.
Read 5 posts up for my solution.

Back