ADS-B Doesn’t Affect Us All ?

I don't assume either that anyone in particular either is or is not playing chicken with thunderstorms using ADS-B Nexrad. But in a discussion of what ADS-B gives you, I don't think it's ever unfair to point out that it does not give you a safe way to make short-range tactical maneuvers around storms.

I also don't think that tiny splotches of yellow constitute a "storm." :)

I don’t think yellow returns constitute a storm either but it may equal less than VMC which is what I’m trying to avoid.

here’s a GP picture of my local area. My normal path is top right to bottom left. This scale is about 20 miles. All the private strips are Cub strips and the majority of those planes don’t have transponders. Nice summer days mean very busy airspace. Eyes outside. I think the traffic on screen is a great idea where it works. Away from controlled airspace? Don’t be convinced that big brother has your back.

View attachment 81591
And yet "see and avoid" has failed sooo many times. Usually in VMC.

Not all pilots would make those types of errors, but it's also true that not all pilots understand that making tactical storm avoidance decisions with Nexrad imagery is an error. I was responding to a member saying he has used Nexrad "to pick between two storms." I don't know how far apart those two storms were or if they were the fast-moving storms I am used to. Maybe that pilot was not making an error. But many pilots who speak in the exact same terms are making a grave error, and some of them pay with their passengers' lives. Understanding what Nexrad actually provides is critical to avoiding that outcome.

they would have to be pretty darn far apart for me since I like to stay at least 25 miles away from any thunderstorm.

If every plane was painted on ADS-B it would be a worthwhile traffic tool. As long as there are non compliant airplanes sharing your airspace? You can’t rely on a screen for traffic. And there are LOTs of planes with no plans to comply.

You have a valid point, however most aircraft are transponder/mode C equipped, well over 90% and at least when enroute or inside radar coverage areas served by TISB, these targets will show up. So below radar/TISB service areas, about 60% will show up and inside radar/TISB area, this approaches 90%. Always have to look outside for traffic, but getting a heads up on 60 to 90% of nearby traffic is an improvement. ADS-B In with traffic is not intended to be use for traffic avoidance, but is intended as an aid to visual acquisition.

You have a valid point, however most aircraft are transponder/mode C equipped, well over 90% and at least when enroute or inside radar coverage areas served by TISB, these targets will show up. So below radar/TISB service areas, about 60% will show up and inside radar/TISB area, this approaches 90%. Always have to look outside for traffic, but getting a heads up on 60 to 90% of nearby traffic is an improvement. ADS-B In with traffic is not intended to be use for traffic avoidance, but is intended as an aid to visual acquisition.
That’s great and all. Just don’t forget every second you are looking outside, you are looking at a data set that contains 100% of the targets. Every second you look at the cockpit display you are looking at something less than 100%. Even with active tcas on my aircraft I still find the window my best resource in visual conditions. The cockpit traffic is a great tool but like all tools it’s limited. Understanding those limits is important.

Back