ADS-B Compliance on the Cheap, even more so

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
This is parallel to Mr. MBDiagMan's thread, but unlike his Cessna 140, my Carlson Sparrow is an Experimental. So, I'm looking for the cheapest solution. There's no existing transponder, so I'm open to anything. I have just updated my Mooney and I'm pleased with Garmin GTX-335. But I spent $5000 for it. For an airplane that I'm unable to sell for $10,000, a $5k expense would represent a difficult decision.

I've got a cheap plane too. My solution, stay out of controlled airspace.

GTX-327 and low-labor UAT solution with it's own GPS. Still going to be a big percentage of your airplane's value.

Either a mode C transponder (Garmin 327, KT-76, etc) with the GDL-82 that installs in-line to the transponder antenna or, for about the same amount of money, the Stratus ESGi, which is 1090 out (and all new). The uAvionics solution would probably be the least expensive route ($1500+transponder) but they are still working out some issues.

Last edited:
@zaitcev ... if the Garmin 327 solution is possible, our club has one available for sale. We swapped in a GTX345 (love it) and the old unit is ready for its next home.

Back