ADS-B certification flight DFW area

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I'm getting my new ADS-B equipment installed this week to comply with FAA 2020 requirements. I'm a little confused on the flight verification requirement. Is it necessary to contact someone at the FAA before making this flight to let them know when and where you are doing it or will the flight data automatically be recorded. I live in the DFW area. If I make the flight in the dfw bravo airspace will I have to contact approach (or departure) for dfw to alert them. Also, can anyone in this area recommend the best area to make the flight in. I assume it would be in one of the outer altitude shelves to remain below the bravo airspace and have more room to maneuver. Thanks for your help.

No need to contact anybody. As long as you are in the air inside the Mode C veil for 30 minutes or more, you are fine. You are supposed to do at least 2 full turns to the left and 2 full turns to the right, climb and descent, and that usually covers it. There are other things they recommend, but doing what I just mentioned works fine. Of course, if you are in Bravo, you need to be on a clearance. If under the Bravo, but inside the Mode C veil, you just need to fly.

No need to contact anybody. As long as you are in the air inside the Mode C veil for 30 minutes or more, you are fine. You are supposed to do at least 2 full turns to the left and 2 full turns to the right, climb and descent, and that usually covers it. There are other things they recommend, but doing what I just mentioned works fine. Of course, if you are in Bravo, you need to be on a clearance. If under the Bravo, but inside the Mode C veil, you just need to fly.
Thanks very kindly for your help.

You don’t have to contact ATC, but by “contact” do you mean registering for the rebate? You need to register BEFORE work being done at the avionics shop. You have probably done this, but if you don’t it will be a $500 mistake. Just trying to make sure you know.

@texasag93 recently managed the GTX345 purchase, install, and flight for our club's bonanza (we are based at Denton, TX)

He would be able to provide details on how it happened.

You don’t have to contact ATC, but by “contact” do you mean registering for the rebate? You need to register BEFORE work being done at the avionics shop. You have probably done this, but if you don’t it will be a $500 mistake. Just trying to make sure you know.
Yes, I have registered and received my code number. Hope to have the work finished early next week and make my verification flight. Thanks very kindly for your help!

We did the reservation.

We paid for the installation.

We did the flight.

I submitted the flight data (thanks for the help from POA) and got the check.

As for the validation flight, just stay under the Bravo veil for more than thirty minutes, then go to the page for your reports. For me, when I registered the flight, one of the reports came back right away, but the GAIRS took several hours to show up with the code number. Be patient, but persistent.

I originally was going to do my flight in the area over Lake Lavon and the Northern part of Ray Hubbard and just cruise/ maneuver around between McKinney and Mesquite air space. There are other areas that may be close closer to you. I was going to fly there just because I flew over that area a lot when I hangared at Bonham and frequently flew to Grand Prairie to take care of my elderly Mom.

I expect that you could call Fort Worth Center and tell them you are doing an ADS-B validation flight and they would clear you int o Bravo airspace, but it wouldn’t be necessary. Letting them know what you are doing and letting them give you traffic advisories wouldn’t be a bad thing even if you stay under the veil.

Last edited:
Back