Adolescent serving HIMS Neuropsychologist?

kwcoach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kwcoach
15yo Son with previous ADHD diagnosis and Concerta rx x 14months. Discontinued this past fall.

I've read here about the quagmire that choice has created for his commercial pilot dreams.

Wondering if anyone here has a suggestion for HIMS Neuro who serves adolescents? We've struck out with a couple so far re his age.

Thanks

(admin, feel free to place this elsewhere if it is in the wrong place. Forum search doesn't show my question specifically)

Thank you. Yes, I have that list - it just doesn't specify an ability to evaluate a minor.

Per one of the neuros, there are no norms for adolescents. Though his brain is 15, they apply adult-based measurements to passing or not. Bruce, if you know otherwise, I'd be curious.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, I have that list - it just doesn't specify an ability to evaluate a minor.

Per one of the neuros, there are no norms for adolescents. Though his brain is 15, they apply adult-based measurements to passing or not. Bruce, if you know otherwise, I'd be curious.

Doc Bruce literally said there are norms. The neuro said the norm is adult. A 15yr old is not within the normative age group. Sorry, but time is the only cure.

ETA: want to be productive? Gliders and soaring.

Also if you want to invest the money and risk it never happening, there is nothing that says you can’t take lessons without a medical, just can’t solo. I started taking lessons here and there when I was as young as 13 and ramped up when I was 15. Wasn’t eligible to solo or get a medical either way at that age.

Also if you want to invest the money and risk it never happening, there is nothing that says you can’t take lessons without a medical, just can’t solo. I started taking lessons here and there when I was as young as 13 and ramped up when I was 15. Wasn’t eligible to solo or get a medical either way at that age.

Or start with Sport Pilot, after he has a drivers license.

No risk in learning to fly gliders. He's old enough to get the rating now and doesn't need a medical. And then he's a pilot, even if he never gets a medical.

Thank you for your responses.

He had a flight today and the instructor (new to us) actually successfully navigated the FAA ADHD process himself a number of years ago - and also chaperoned a student through the same just recently. Very helpful advice - as y'all suggested - to just give it a year plus and seek the neuro assessment six months or so before his 17th bday. Can't solo before 17 anyway. Suggested keeping maybe a monthly flight till then just to keep him learning. They both used Dr. Maida Gunther in MSP area and she is apparently aces re navigating this stuff.

Looks like there is a glider club near Battle Creek (Marshall Soaring Club) - couple hours away. Also Sandhill Soaring Club near Detroit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back