Admission To Hospital Question

Is drinking at home to a BAC of .163 any different? What if he was mugged at home or at a friends party??
As I said, I think it’s foolish to get *that* drunk in any situation, but even more so when in public.

What I don’t agree with Bruce and the Faa on is that one incident means you are a substance abuser for life.

Do you think just maybe you’d have a better chance to avoid being stabbed if you didn’t have a BAC of .163?

I often disagree with Bruce’s attitude towards those with a DUI. I disagree with the faa’s approach as well.

But, I don’t like getting drunk because I want to be able to avoid a situation Ike this by my own control, and I think that’s much more likely if I’m not falling down drunk. Again, drinking is one thing. Drinking to a BAC of .163 is something else. You’ve given up a large amount of control of your personal situation when you’re that drunk.

It's possible but I was mugged in Rome once, sober. It was late at night, I was walking back from the train station. It would be different if the OP fell down stairs and ended up in the hospital with a BAC of .163. Sure, being intoxicated makes someone an 'easy target' but then we skim the line of victim blaming. Apparently I was an easy target in Rome. But how is that my fault? It's the same thing for a sexual assault survivor. I agree when you are intoxicated you've given up control. But that doesn't mean the FAA (or anyone else) should ridicule a guy for getting stabbed while waiting for a Uber.

As I said, I think it’s foolish to get *that* drunk in any situation, but even more so when in public.
Great. And not many would disagree with you. But the OP didn't ask for advice on his social habits or avoiding confrontations with violent criminal actors. He asked what he has to disclose to the FAA.

Great. And not many would disagree with you. But the OP didn't ask for advice on his social habits or avoiding confrontations with violent criminal actors. He asked what he has to disclose to the FAA.

And it appears he doesn't have to disclose anything. It would be no different if he had the same BAC and ended up in a car accident while in the Uber. Case closed.

I didn’t ask for advice on victim shaming, yet it’s been given. :p It’s a public forum. Don’t want comments about your getting stinking drunk from sgoti then don’t post about it on a public forum. :D

My favorite part of PoA is reading so many people post that you have can never get drunk and expect to be a pilot, and then seeing many at the Jambalaya party at Oshkosh clearly disregarding that advice.

Remember, .16 is a six pack. For some, it's a fun night. Definitely shouldn't drive, but we're talking about a six pack here, not chugging a 750ml of Kentucky Bourbon.

(and, before the Judgy McJudgertons jump in and accuse me of being defensive or an alcoholic, *I* happen to be a teetotaler for medical reasons. So I'm not in denial and trying to preserve my own right to tie one on)

Last edited:
My favorite part of PoA is reading so many people post that you have can never get drunk and expect to be a pilot, and then going seeing many at the Jambalaya party at Oshkosh clearly disregarding that advice.

Remember, .16 is a six pack. For some, it's a fun night. Definitely shouldn't drive, but we're talking about a six pack here, not chugging a 750ml of Kentucky Bourbon.

(and, before the Judgy McJudgertons jump in and accuse me of being defensive or an alcoholic, *I* happen to be a teetotaler for medical reasons. So I'm not in denial and trying to preserve my own right to tie one on)
Actually, it’s two six packs over an hour period, which is quite a lot.

Actually, it’s two six packs over an hour period, which is quite a lot.

If that were true, it would be. Doesn't seem to be true. At least not for an FAA standard human.

upload_2021-10-11_11-44-14.png

My favorite part of PoA is reading so many people post that you have can never get drunk and expect to be a pilot, and then going seeing many at the Jambalaya party at Oshkosh clearly disregarding that advice.

Yep. I laugh when I think about stories from pilots like Bob Hoover who got drunk in England, then went out flew missions the next day with a hangover. Not saying I’d do that but there are plenty of famous military pilots who got wasted back in the day and it never affected their piloting duties. I don’t automatically assume they’re alcoholics. Just pilots that flew hard and partied harder. I got no problems with that.

OP messed up and had one DUI. Shouldn’t be a death sentence and a lifetime of abstinence.

You are incorrect.

Your inability to read a simple graph makes me think you can't do a weight and balance correctly. Look at beers (6) on the left, find weight (150) and you'll see it says 0.18. So really 5.5 beers would put me at 0.16. Personally speaking, I cannot drink 5 beers in a hour. With that being said, it is common to be over served at a bar. I mean how often does the bartender exactly measure 1.5oz? Maybe if the owner is pinching pennies. I've had drinks where the bartender fills half the cup with liquor.

Show your work.
It takes two hours to metabolize a drink. One hour halves your BAC. Unless you chugged the entire six pack, you won’t have a .163 BAC from a six pack. If you chugged a six pack, well then, my point is still made.

Your inability to read a simple graph makes me think you can't do a weight and balance correctly. Look at beers (6) on the left, find weight (150) and you'll see it says 0.18. So really 5.5 beers would put me at 0.16.
Ignorance is bliss?

What I don’t agree with Bruce and the Faa on is that one incident means you are a substance abuser for life.

It's more about the BAC level. Having a BAC of .16 means there is tolerance and that proves it isn't a single incident. It's only the first time there's been a problem. 0.16 is pretty harsh - for me, a shot every 10 minutes for an hour. There's been a lot of hard drinking involved to get to the point that that they can function with that much alcohol in their system.

If you chugged the six pack, sure, but if you drink a six pack in an hour you’re half of .163

Maybe if you're a 7' Viking

Im just thinking back to that college party, maybe go play with a do these blow machines, .08 isn't really drunk,.08 was a standard set by politicians trying to "get tuff" if you tested most everyone who went out drinking with friends planning to take an Uber or had a DD, they probably were more around.16.

In college, which wasn't long ago, I was the weird guy who didn't drink much, around 165lbs and fit, I was able to feel not very drunk and blow a.09, it wasn't a police model, I don't think, but I'm sure the technology is the same. I have a few sisters, some here would excuse the cat calling them and creeping at them if they wore a party dress outside or were at a bar?
It's refreshing to see the posters that identify as professional pilots here seem to be less into victim blaming.

Last edited:
Maybe if you’re a 7’ Viking

Im just thinking back to that college party, maybe go play with one do those blow machines, .08 isn’t really drunk, .08 was a standard set by politicians trying to “get tuff”, if you tested most anyone who went out drinking with friends planning to take a Uber or had a DD, they probably were more around .16.

In college, which wasn’t long ago, I was the strange guy who didn’t drink very much, about 165lbs and fit, I was able to feel not very drunk and blow a .09, it wasn’t a police model, I don’t think, but I’m sure the technology is the same.

I have a few sisters, some here would excuse cat calling them and creeping on them if they wore a party dress outside or were at a bar? It is refreshing to see the posters who identify as professional pilots here seem to be less into victim blaming.

I've learned the internet (specifically this board) isn't a realistic reality. The majority of pilots are not into victim blaming and would be understanding if a fellow pilot was stabbed and robbed while waiting for a ride home. If anything, pilots should be concerned about government overreach. Imagine an ASI demanded to look through your aircraft's logbooks and tried to violate you for something minor. It's really the same concept here.

It takes two hours to metabolize a drink. One hour halves your BAC. Unless you chugged the entire six pack, you won’t have a .163 BAC from a six pack. If you chugged a six pack, well then, my point is still made.
All easily available sources are to the contrary. And one hour for sure does not halve my BAC.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.37.56 PM.png

I bought one of those little breath analyzers, I was amazed, that 2 standard glasses of wine, 5 oz each, in about an hour had me bumping up against 0.08. It was eye opening. I don't trust any of those charts, everyone is different. I also don't have a drink and drive.

Had I a BAC of 0.16 I'd be unconscious on the floor. I doubt I've ever drank like that, even in my youth. It takes practice, and lots of it to tolerate getting that soused. Moreover the OP is lying to us through his teeth. He said he doesn't drink that much anymore, and it was a celebration. First, if he really didn't drink much anymore he'd not have a tolerance to that much alcohol. And a celebration of what gets you that inebriated? Don't know if I'd want to be flown by someone like that.

Had I a BAC of 0.16 I'd be unconscious on the floor. I doubt I've ever drank like that, even in my youth. It takes practice, and lots of it to tolerate getting that soused. Moreover the OP is lying to us through his teeth. He said he doesn't drink that much anymore, and it was a celebration. First, if he really didn't drink much anymore he'd not have a tolerance to that much alcohol. And a celebration of what gets you that inebriated? Don't know if I'd want to be flown by someone like that.

Drinking a six pack would cause you to fall unconsciouses?

That’s not normal

Just curious who here thinks a beer every 15 minutes for 2 hours straight is light drinking.

Go to a bar or restaurant, the average person normally tops their glass off about every half hour for a normal social outing, spend 3hrs out with friends, that’s about 6 drinks, or a six pack, and about .16 for a healthy normal person, not smart to drive after, but not falling asleep or dancing on tables drunk.

The above has been true since our founding fathers fist toasted a glass in Boston hundreds of years ago, and is still true today if you go sit down and watch normal people do normal things.

Go to a bar or restaurant, the average person normally tops their glass off about every half hour for a normal social outing, spend 3hrs out with friends, that’s about 6 drinks, or a six pack, and about .16 for a healthy normal person, not smart to drive after, but not falling asleep or dancing on tables drunk.

The above has been true since our founding fathers fist toasted a glass in Boston hundreds of years ago, and is still true today if you go sit down and watch normal people do normal things.
Disagree.
E9680268-9F40-4CD8-9B61-63398BAB78FE.png
B6F80950-E70A-41EF-B61A-8B305574E723.png

Spend a few hundred dollars and consult with a good aviation attorney. If the FAA somehow gets wind that your bac was that high they are going to force you into HIMS.

Spend a few hundred dollars and consult with a good aviation attorney. If the FAA somehow gets wind that your bac was that high they are going to force you into HIMS.

HIMS is an absolute sham too. I'd personally spend the money paying someone off to 'lose' the BAC records. The blessing for the OP is the FAA won't request past individual labs. Just the admission and discharge forms.

Subtract .015 for each hour after drinking.

subtract .045 for the three hours and use your chart with an Faa 180 pound guy, and you’re back at 9 drinks to reach .163

subtract .045 for the three hours and use your chart with an Faa 180 pound guy, and you’re back at 9 drinks to reach .163

Based on the chart it’s 4-7 drinks of light beer based on a normal persons weight

He was not operating a aircraft, or a car, he was getting stabbed by a crazy person, only normal reaction would be, thank god you’re ok and why was that place so unsafe, maybe they need to hire security.

HIMS is an absolute sham too. I'd personally spend the money paying someone off to 'lose' the BAC records. The blessing for the OP is the FAA won't request past individual labs. Just the admission and discharge forms.
It’s a huge racket. All about putting money in The pockets of the AME’s. Wouldn’t surprise me if a number of AMEs gave a percentage of their income to some of their connections in the faa. It’s really sad because what started out a long time ago about genuinely wanting to help pilots back into the cockpit has become about making as much money as possible. HIMS is corrupt

Based on the chart it’s 4-7 drinks of light beer based on a normal persons weight

He was not operating a aircraft, or a car, he was getting stabbed by a crazy person, only normal reaction would be, thank god you’re ok and why was that place so unsafe, maybe they need to hire security.
If you don’t subtract for the hours after drinking then you aren’t reading the chart right. The big black letters under the chart.

If you don’t subtract for the hours after drinking then you aren’t reading the chart right. The big black letters under the chart.
Right. So if I have a one martini in the first hour, I'm ~.09. If I have a second martini in the next hour, I'm ~0.09+0.09-0.015=0.165. Spread it out over three hours, and it's ~0.15. Two martinis in a night is not a lot. But according to some here, if that doesn't put me into a coma, I'm a zombie alcoholic unworthy of a pilot certificate.

Right. So if I have a one martini in the first hour, I'm ~.09. If I have a second martini in the next hour, I'm ~0.09+0.09-0.015=0.165. Spread it out over three hours, and it's ~0.15. Two martinis in a night is not a lot. But according to some here, if that doesn't put me into a coma, I'm a zombie alcoholic unworthy of a pilot certificate.
I guess your martini's have 4.5 ounces of alcohol in them, or you weigh 45 pounds. So yeah, either of those conditions, I'd consider that a lot of consumption.

But, as I've already said, I don't agree with the FAA's methodology on this. I don't agree that this event should effect his cert. I don't agree that a DUI 30 years ago when you were in college should have any impact on getting a cert.

I guess your martini's have 4.5 ounces of alcohol in them, or you weigh 45 pounds. So yeah, either of those conditions, I'd consider that a lot of consumption.

But, as I've already said, I don't agree with the FAA's methodology on this. I don't agree that this event should effect his cert. I don't agree that a DUI 30 years ago when you were in college should have any impact on getting a cert.
Yeah, a typical martini is 4-5 ounces and I'm about 160#. If you consider two drinks in three hours to be a lot, we might not be able to party. :D:p

I tend to agree, BUT there have been quite a few clowns, who can't control themselves who have ruined it for everyone else. So we all have to deal with it.

I tend to agree, BUT there have been quite a few clowns, who can't control themselves who have ruined it for everyone else. So we all have to deal with it.

That saying has been used for many bad things.

If the FAA can’t sort out who is a alcoholic clown from someone who had a few beers and got stabbed, maybe we need to re staff the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back