Adjustment knob on directional gyro not working

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I just started having a problem with the adjustment knob on my dg not engaging when I push it in to rotate the compass card. Sometimes, but not always, it will engage after I get airborne where the card can turn freely on its own. I recently had a new vacuum pump installed but not sure if that is related. I can get by with my whiskey compass and foreflight to tell me which way I'm pointed but I need my dg working properly to get my old autopilot to function. Thanks for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Is there set screw that has come loose? I had that happen on a CDI once.

Looks like time to get an overhaul or an exchange.

I just started having a problem with the adjustment knob on my dg not engaging when I push it in to rotate the compass card. Sometimes, but not always, it will engage after I get airborne where the card can turn freely on its own. I recently had a new vacuum pump installed but not sure if that is related. I can get by with my whiskey compass and foreflight to tell me which way I'm pointed but I need my dg working properly to get my old autopilot to function. Thanks for any suggestions on how to fix this.

I have the same problem slowly developing in my Aztec. It seems to work better in one direction compared to the other. I think the mechanism just wears out in time? I'm likely to pull mine and have it overhauled next year.

Back