Adjusting C150 idle (throttle)

Ande Elkins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ande Elkins
Have a C150 that idles down to 500rpm.
What is the procedure to set the lowest idle to 1000rpm?

Can that be done at the interior throttle cable or, does it have to be done at the carb?

1974 Cessna 150..

I chose to have the lowest idle to be 1000rpm to ensure oil circulation
(and the motor runs 'rough' if I pull the throttle completely.. idle appears to be too low)
Thanks,.. Ande

Ande Elkins said:
(and the motor runs 'rough' if I pull the throttle completely.. idle appears to be too low)

Ande it wouldn't be a good idea to mess with such things. It is set at 550(?) for a reason and you have to follow the service manual instructions (do you have the manual?) Besides it would never come down if you set it at 1000!

Ande Elkins said:

Can that be done at the interior throttle cable or, does it have to be done at the carb?

1974 Cessna 150..

Thanks,.. Ande

The idle stop is on the carb, it is the screw that the throttle arm contacts when the throttle plate is closed.

The proper setting for the 0-200-/C150 is 500-550 RPM, If it runs rough at this setting try getting it timed correctly, or the mixture set properly.

Ande Elkins said:

1974 Cessna 150..

Thanks,.. Ande

The idle is supposed to be that low. If it's excessively rough at idle, you need to deal with a timing and probably dwell issue, although make sure the idle mixture is set properly first. Not meaning to be a smartass, but if you don't know where and how to make these adjustments, you aren't qualified to make them.

Back