ADIZ questions

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Well, I'm tackling the ADIZ tomorrow for the first time, heading for Tipton (KFME). I've been studying everything I can. I even took the FAA minicourse online. I still have a few questions. I fly from a non-towered field under a Bravo shelf, so I don't have a ton of experience dealing with ATC.

1) Are comms with Potomac Approach upon opening the DVFR flight plan considered "flight following?" I know you contact them near your entry point to get a squawk code, and monitor the freq, but is that it unless you specifically request flight following? The reason I ask is, if I don't get clearance through Bravo I'll have to do the VFR flyways and I'll be changing altitudes (dropping) as I get closer to KFME. Will I have to notify ATC of altitude changes as I would with flight following?

2) Do you file the DVFR flight plan with your home FSS (in my case Williamsport) or do you file with Leesburg? I'll probably try DUATS, but either way I'd like to know.

3) How hard is it to communicate with Potomac? I usually call in "Beech xxxxx, with request" when I want flight following, but I don't want to be ignored as obvious VFR traffic as often happens with Philly Approach. Or should I expect to circle around north of the ADIZ/ENSUE waiting to get through to them?

4) On the way home -- should I call Potomac after engine run-up, or wait for start up until I get cleared? I understand they usually give tight windows. Do people just sit at the hold-short, engines silent, waiting for the word, then light fires and roll? This may be a local thing, so I'll definitely ask the folks at Tipton for advice too.

Thanks in advance for any input. I can't f#@*in' believe I have to worry about all this. I can't IMAGINE doing flight training inside the ADIZ like several of my friends do.

flyersfan31 said:
Well, I'm tackling the ADIZ tomorrow for the first time, heading for Tipton (KFME). I've been studying everything I can. I even took the FAA minicourse online. I still have a few questions. I fly from a non-towered field under a Bravo shelf, so I don't have a ton of experience dealing with ATC.

1) Are comms with Potomac Approach upon opening the DVFR flight plan considered "flight following?" I know you contact them near your entry point to get a squawk code, and monitor the freq, but is that it unless you specifically request flight following? The reason I ask is, if I don't get clearance through Bravo I'll have to do the VFR flyways and I'll be changing altitudes (dropping) as I get closer to KFME. Will I have to notify ATC of altitude changes as I would with flight following?

2) Do you file the DVFR flight plan with your home FSS (in my case Williamsport) or do you file with Leesburg? I'll probably try DUATS, but either way I'd like to know.

3) How hard is it to communicate with Potomac? I usually call in "Beech xxxxx, with request" when I want flight following, but I don't want to be ignored as obvious VFR traffic as often happens with Philly Approach. Or should I expect to circle around north of the ADIZ/ENSUE waiting to get through to them?

4) On the way home -- should I call Potomac after engine run-up, or wait for start up until I get cleared? I understand they usually give tight windows. Do people just sit at the hold-short, engines silent, waiting for the word, then light fires and roll? This may be a local thing, so I'll definitely ask the folks at Tipton for advice too.

Thanks in advance for any input. I can't f#@*in' believe I have to worry about all this. I can't IMAGINE doing flight training inside the ADIZ like several of my friends do.

Flyers,

Good job doing as much research as you did on ADIZ procedures.

#1 - A lot of things depend. Here is an excerpt of my conversation with Potomac on Tues. night when I flew VFR into KHEF:

Me - Potomac, N756KZ, 5 mi north of CSN, 3500 feet, VFR ADIZ into Manassas.

Potomac - N756KZ - Squawk XXXX and ident.

Me - Potomac, N756KZ Squawk XXXX ident.

Potomac - N756KZ - Radar contact - Proceed direct Manassas.

Note I didn't get "You are cleared into the ADIZ". At that point, I was cleared into the ADIZ, needed to remain clear of the Class Bravo, and he was going to hand me off to tower shortly (which he did).

You are under positive control, however most of the controllers aren't using explicit language. If he gives you a heading and altitude assignment - you must follow it. In absense of this, to an uncontrolled field, the assumption is "fly under the Bravo shelf, keep your code to the ground". If in doubt at any time, ask.

#2 - doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be Leesburg. I use DUATS using the procedure documented on their site with no problems.

#3 - You won't be ignored, just remain clear until you get a squawk code and instructions. If you review the DUATS document, it will give you specific frequencies based on your entry point to use. Use my phraseology above on initial contact.

#4 - At Lee in Annapolis, I call via cell phone to Potomac directly for a code - 866-429-5882. I did it before engine start. You may be able to get them on the ground. There are various ways. Since you are VFR and under the B shelf, there usually isn't a tight window, like you would have IFR.

Good Luck!

Greg
182RG

flyersfan31 said:

FME has an undocumented RCO that connects directly to Potomac Approach. Ask at the FBO for the frequency and procedure. I believe it's 121.725 and 4 clicks, but check at the FBO.

If it's no longer in operation, call from a cellphone or call from the landline to get a squawk. Easier from a cell.

flyersfan31 said:
1) Are comms with Potomac Approach upon opening the DVFR flight plan considered "flight following?"
First, you don't file a DVFR flight plan, you file a "DC ADIZ" flight plan, and yes, the difference is significant. Read the FDC NOTAM carefully on that. Second, you only get flight following if you ask for it. Otherwise, all you get is a code to squawk.

I know you contact them near your entry point to get a squawk code, and monitor the freq, but is that it unless you specifically request flight following?
Yes.

The reason I ask is, if I don't get clearance through Bravo I'll have to do the VFR flyways and I'll be changing altitudes (dropping) as I get closer to KFME. Will I have to notify ATC of altitude changes as I would with flight following?
No. Just stay out of the B-space.

Again, don't file a DVFR flight plan, file a "DC ADIZ" flight plan as required by the rules. And you can one file with any AFSS or with DUATS. The only flight plan that has to be filed with Leesburg is a FRZ flight plan; and if you've had the training, you know that already, and if you haven't, you can't do it anyway.

3) How hard is it to communicate with Potomac?
Depends on day, time of day, and weather. If it's a VFR weekend, you may have a lot of trouble getting a word in edgewise to get your VFR ADIZ squawk.

I usually call in "Beech xxxxx, with request" when I want flight following, but I don't want to be ignored as obvious VFR traffic as often happens with Philly Approach. Or should I expect to circle around north of the ADIZ/ENSUE waiting to get through to them?
You should have a plan on where to wait if you can't get a word in or if you are told to "stand by." And make your initial call "Beech xxxxx request ADIZ code," not just "with request." Knowing what you want up front helps.

4) On the way home -- should I call Potomac after engine run-up, or wait for start up until I get cleared?
Depends on the airport. If you are at a towered airport, you just do the normal call to ground/clearance to get your squawk when you're ready to taxi. If you're at a non-towered airport with an RCO on the field, you can get the squawk just about any time after start. I usually call for it immediately after start-up at GAI. If you're at a non-towered airport with no RCO, call them on the phone just before you walk to the plane -- done that at FME several times.

I understand they usually give tight windows.
Only for IFR releases at non-towered airports without RCO's. DC ADIZ VFR squawks don't have release or void times. You get the code, taxi out, and turn it on when you take the runway.

Thanks, all, for the input. I feel a lot more confident about the process now. And, yeah, I know it's a DC ADIZ flight plan, not DVFR -- sloppy terminology on my part. :redface:

Unfortunately, flight was scrubbed due to the winning trifecta of strong, gusty, and variable crosswinds at home. At least now I feel like I can plan a routine (well, as routine as can be) flight down there without unduly agonizing about it.

Great resource, this board!:yes:

I am a student pilot so take all this with a grain of salt... :)

I usually get the Altoona FSS and start off the conversation this way:

"Good Morning, I am a student pilot and would like to file an ADIZ flight plan..." and the rest of the conversation is pretty standard except for the ADIZ procedure briefing.

Some other helpful handy hints...

-With DUAT(s), you need to [see below].
-Make sure you keep the code all the way until you pull off the runway. One of the students flicked it off early and got nailed by the tower.
-Call and get the code before takeoff. Contact Potomac Approach once airborne.
-Make sure you start squawking the code (mode C) once you get on the runway.
-Monitor your position. Most of the time Potomac approach will call you and let you know you are clear of the ADIZ and squawk VFR. Other times you will need to call them and let them know you have left the ADIZ. The will verify your position and let you know to squawk VFR.
-Potomac Approach will vector you if necessary or their workload permits. As always, see and avoid is the primary rule.

SP

Last edited by a moderator:
spryde said:
-With DUAT(s),
...you need to hit the "DC ADIZ" link -- it's in blue in the upper left corner of the flight plan page. The procedure changed to this a few months ago.

Back