ADIZ meetings were all a ruse ...

mgkdrgn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brett
As I suspected, it was a "done deal" from the start, the FAA was only making sure they had all the T's crossed and I's dotted. No wonder they didn't care that the "panel" couldn't even see the screen for the power point presentations of the speakers.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=674968#

Color me completely unsurprised... *sigh*

I hope the ADIZ doesn't spread to other cities. What a joke.

Which is exactly the reason that I didn't bother trying to make the trip to DC to attend the hearings. Waste of time.

wsuffa said:
Which is exactly the reason that I didn't bother trying to make the trip to DC to attend the hearings. Waste of time.

Exactly...I was 40 miles down the road and I didn't make the trip. No surprise here. Having friends inside the FAA / ATC world who described how entrenched the "contract support staff" was for monitoring the ADIZ at the TRACON in Warrenton helped clarify the fact that it was here to stay.....

Greg
182RG

Keep in mind the last "A" in FAA is "Administration". They adminster the will of the governmental agencies that initiate the grand schemes of airspace control. I doubt many in the FAA have much say in a politically charged issued such as the DC "ADIZ". It places additional burden on their already stretched resources in the area.

Some astute observations on the last meeting can be found at http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer/

If the ATC guys hate it, and the pilot's hate it, isn't there some way of just oh..."ignoring" it. If ATC doesn't mind if GA flies in the ADIZ, and doesn't want to do the paperwork for every incursion, what happens if they just turn a blind eye?
Time to make friends with ATC higher ups!

Only if you figure somehow you can "ignore" the 20MM canon fire ripping through your airplane ...

ATC is just the messinger/whipping boy ... other folks do the enforcement ... and they have all their own toys, don't need ATC's "help" at all.

N2212R said:
If the ATC guys hate it, and the pilot's hate it, isn't there some way of just oh..."ignoring" it. If ATC doesn't mind if GA flies in the ADIZ, and doesn't want to do the paperwork for every incursion, what happens if they just turn a blind eye?
Time to make friends with ATC higher ups!

As I recall, John Kerry is an AOPA member and declined the offer of TFR's during the campaign . . .

Flame suit on!

If there's any hope at all of reversing this insanity, it's through the political process. We all need to be asking tough questions of our candidates during the next election season this fall.

mgkdrgn said:
As I suspected, it was a "done deal" from the start, the FAA was only making sure they had all the T's crossed and I's dotted. No wonder they didn't care that the "panel" couldn't even see the screen for the power point presentations of the speakers.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=674968#
It's government. Government is... well big government... it sucks...

N2212R said:
No can do -- there are monitors monitoring the monitors on this one. The one and only way to make this go away is to get Congress to pull the plug. I hope that every one of the 20,000 commenters sent copies to their Congressman and Senators, because those are the only folks who can change the situation.

Ron Levy said:
No can do -- there are monitors monitoring the monitors on this one. The one and only way to make this go away is to get Congress to pull the plug. I hope that every one of the 20,000 commenters sent copies to their Congressman and Senators, because those are the only folks who can change the situation.

I sent letters to my 3 (1 House, 2 Senators) and got a semi-canned response from my rep. He did address the ADIZ. One senator I got no response, and the other idiot (Carl Levin) thanked me about writing about airline safety. Hey Senator Pinhead, have your people, or you actually READ what I wrote.

N2212R said:
I sent letters to my 3 (1 House, 2 Senators) and got a semi-canned response from my rep. He did address the ADIZ. One senator I got no response, and the other idiot (Carl Levin) thanked me about writing about airline safety. Hey Senator Pinhead, have your people, or you actually READ what I wrote.
Call Levin's office and ask to speak to the staffer who handles aviation issues. Tell him about the disconnect, and that you want to know Levin's stand on the issue, because this is a "hot button" for you. Find similar means to ping the non-responder into a response. These folks really do keep track of inquiries and do react to them, because they figure you are a vote they really can win or lose by his actions.

I finally got a response back from Senator Lautenberg of NJ, to the e-mail that I sent him when I submitted my ADIZ comments:

Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to expand and make permanent the Washington D.C. Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) restrictions. I appreciate your input.

The ADIZ security measures were implemented following the 9/11 terrorist attacks to protect federal buildings in our nation’s capital. Current proposals would increase the preexisting 15-mile flight restricted zone (FRZ) and restrict general aviation access to airspace under 18,000 feet in a 15- to 38-mile radius around Washington, D.C.

On several occasions, my staff and I have been evacuated from the U.S. Capitol complex due to perceived threats from an unidentified aircraft entering the ADIZ.

While I understand the necessity of having some restrictions (especially identification restrictions), I believe skilled pilots operating non-commercial single-engine planes may not pose the most serious threat to the Capitol region. I feel that further oversight of the Bush administration’s general aviation security policies are warranted before any further expansions of ADIZ are implemented. Thank you for writing me.

It's got lots of qualifiers in it, but it seems to be agreeing with me in general.

MSmith said:
It's got lots of qualifiers in it, but it seems to be agreeing with me in general.
By your response I would say he has done his job well. His e-mail to you is so wishy washy and does not take a stand on one little thing. It is so non-commital that the reader believes the Sen. is in agreement with the reader.

Richard said:
By your response I would say he has done his job well. His e-mail to you is so wishy washy and does not take a stand on one little thing. It is so non-commital that the reader believes the Sen. is in agreement with the reader.

If he wrote it at all.

DoubleD said:
As I recall, John Kerry is an AOPA member and declined the offer of TFR's during the campaign . . .
I was wondering about that---he was often seen at KBED, and I never saw a TFR when he was coming or going. Did he really decline the TFR? What a sweetheart.

deafsound said:
I was wondering about that---he was often seen at KBED, and I never saw a TFR when he was coming or going. Did he really decline the TFR? What a sweetheart.

although i'm not a huge fan of john kerry for president, he IS an ACTIVE g/a pilot (listing from landings.com):

Name : KERRY, JOHN FORBES
Airman's Address : 19 LOUISBURG SQ
BOSTON, MA, 02108-1202
FAA Region : New England
Date of Medical : Dec, 2005
Class of Medical : 2
Expiration of Class 2 : Dec, 2006
Airman Certificates : Commercial Pilot
Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land
Airplane Single Engine Sea
Glider Aero Tow
Instrument Airplane

maybe we wouldn't be suffering the "...slings and arrows of outrageous fortune..." if it was jfk instead of gwb.

just my $.02 worth.

Back