ADIZ filing question

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Planning my first flight throught the ADIZ VFR and had a question about filing.

All the sample forms provided by both the FAA and AOPA say that in block 11 (Remarks) you should write " ADIZ DUATS". But what if I'm filing on the phone or via DUAT (without the S)? One of the forms says " For all DC ADIZ flight plans put the "ADIZ DUATS" in the remarks section. Can't I just put DC ADIZ or something like that?

Adam, you're a lawyer. :ihih:

reminds me when I said at our computer group, "If you asnwer yes here, it'll happily erase all of your valuable data."

Our buddy who is a lawyer said, "It'll erase your data whether it's valuable or not." :lol:

If you're filing by phone, just tell the briefer you're filing a "DC ADIZ" flight plan -- not IFR, not VFR, not DVFR. The briefer is supposed to know what that means and how to enter it properly into the system.

As for DTC DUAT, I have no idea -- I don't use them, and I don't know their formats.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not, but the distinction between DUAT and DUATS isn't particularly significant, and the process for filing an ADIZ flight plan is identical through both systems, they just have slightly different web interfaces.

VFR DC ADIZ flight plans are filed in the system as IFR flight plans. ATC has two "hints" that they're really VFR ADIZ flight plans, and not IFR flight plans, and that's the altitude field and the remarks. So the recommendation is just to put "ADIZ DUATS" in the remarks to highlight that it's a VFR ADIZ flight plan, and not an IFR flight plan. If you file over the phone, the briefer puts something in there, too, though I don't recall what, exactly.
-harry

Take off from Smoketown, don't file anything, don't talk to anybody, fly direct. Wait for the black helicopters to show you the way. Hey, its are tax dollars, right?

:devil:

Back