adhesive for carpet?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
good ole contact cement or something better? it looks like the old stuff may have used a spray-on adhesive...

Do what Cirrus does - VELCRO :) Must have miles of it in mine! Works though

I used velcro on my plane. Contact cement would work though or some spray adhesive.

good ole contact cement or something better? it looks like the old stuff may have used a spray-on adhesive...

Do you have any inspection plates under carpet?

I don't see the advantage to gluing it down. Velcro, maybe, if it would otherwise shift around.

I imagine that just shifts the question to what glue to use to secure the velcro....

I used Velcro,didn't let the rug shift,causing the. Rug to tear. Replaced the rug without Velcro tape,rug looking much better.

Double-back tape, that's what the airlines use.

That and a lot of Velcro. Usually glued onto the carpet with the mating Velcro being stick back type for the floors. Sidewalls are glued to removable panels

Look at 3M 1357, 8046, and 90 for adhesives.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, looks like velcro and tape is the way to go. The carpet is going into a PA-28 so some has to be velcro but the floorboards can be glued or taped.

Thanks folks, looks like velcro and tape is the way to go. The carpet is going into a PA-28 so some has to be velcro but the floorboards can be glued or taped.

Vecroed the floor in my Mooney, now its easy to pull carpet out and clean once a year.

Got the carpet today and it came with a fair bit of velcro.

Removed the old carpet today and most of the old pad/underlay. Need to do some scraping and chemical attack to remove degraded pad and adhesive. I assume using a steel scraper on aluminum would be bad so will go in with plastic scraper and goof off.

The fasteners on the aluminum heat duct which runs alongside the control cable tunnel are degraded. I'm thinking about bonding nuts to the aluminum to repair them. The real question is how should I repair the wallowed out holes so the ducts will mount properly?

Another question is locating holes in the new carpet for attaching hardware. Anything work better than just laying the old carpet on the new and poking a hole to mark? I figure poke an icepick through then use a sharpie to mark. Then I can drill or cut the correct hole size.

Removed the old carpet today and most of the old pad/underlay. Need to do some scraping and chemical attack to remove degraded pad and adhesive. I assume using a steel scraper on aluminum would be bad so will go in with plastic scraper and goof off.

The fasteners on the aluminum heat duct which runs alongside the control cable tunnel are degraded. I'm thinking about bonding nuts to the aluminum to repair them. The real question is how should I repair the wallowed out holes so the ducts will mount properly?

Another question is locating holes in the new carpet for attaching hardware. Anything work better than just laying the old carpet on the new and poking a hole to mark? I figure poke an icepick through then use a sharpie to mark. Then I can drill or cut the correct hole size.

with a proper cut and bound carpet you will only need a simple buttonheaded screw in each corner.
Please do not glue your carpet in, if you do you can't see developing corrosion.

with a proper cut and bound carpet you will only need a simple buttonheaded screw in each corner.
Please do not glue your carpet in, if you do you can't see developing corrosion.

It's a PA-28 so have a fair bit of hardware to mount through the carpet on the rear seat platform. The old carpet & underlay had been glued down on pilot and pax side forward of the forward wing attach points. The carpet under the front seats and in rear pax footwells was not glued but the underlay is stuck down. The cargo area carpet was not glued but has penetrations for the cargo strap mounting points. I've never used the cargo straps so am considering leaving them out.

It's a PA-28 so have a fair bit of hardware to mount through the carpet on the rear seat platform. The old carpet & underlay had been glued down on pilot and pax side forward of the forward wing attach points. The carpet under the front seats and in rear pax footwells was not glued but the underlay is stuck down. The cargo area carpet was not glued but has penetrations for the cargo strap mounting points. I've never used the cargo straps so am considering leaving them out.
You probably don't need anything to hold the carpet.

You probably don't need anything to hold the carpet.

Agree for the most part...but climbing in and out of the aircraft pushes the pilot and front pax footwell carpet around. I'll probably use velcro for that.

The vertical carpet pieces will probably get double stick tape. I'll probably let the carpet in the cargo area float.

... I've never used the cargo straps so am considering leaving them out.

Just be aware that in the event of a forced landing if, for any reason the aircraft should nose over, whatever is back there is gonna come down on the back of your head.

For the plane or what? Is fire resistance desired? Arabol works really well, is cheap and non flammable. It's made from milk and used in pipe lagging. When we'd take a boat to sea with leaky decks we'd just cut sack grade jute for the deck, roll on Arabol, lay down the canvas, then roll over that a coat or two (or three if you're going to leave it on). We have nice dry sealed decks cheap underway, and when we get there, the jute peels up pretty easily and the Arabol cleans off the decks with a quick "2 part" (lye to clean, oxalic or phosphoric acid) scrub down.

It's what I would use, I used to get it at industrial plumbing supply places.

Made some progress finally. Most of the footwell carpet and pad fitted. Heat ducting repaired. It's been a lot of looking and figuring out what had to be fixed/changed. About half a dozen screw holes were never drilled on the heat ducting so what I thought were stripped screws were actually just screws jammed between the ducting and the mounting brackets. All that is fixed now.
Tunnel cover carpet is at the trim shop for binding after trimming. I intend to finish installing all the footwell carpet and pad tomorrow. Maybe attack the rear seat platform carpet on Sunday. The cargo area carpet fit is pretty simple and might take an hour after all the other stuff is done.

Finished the footwell carpet and pad yesterday. As Tom suggested, it doesn't seem to need adhesive or velcro. No problem adding it later if it turns out to be needed.

Put the carpet on the rear seat platform/plywood this morning. I thought that installing the seat mounting hardware might be a problem but it turned out to be pretty simple to do after aligning and clamping the carpet to the plywood. I just ran a drill bit through the screw holes from the bottom and used a hole saw to cut the required holes in the carpet. When the carpet/plywood was turned over I used a nail or two to locate the holes through the seat mounting hardware. Running the screws in was easy at that point.

I should finish all but the tunnel cover tomorrow - assuming the A&P IA can get off his lazy butt and inspect the exposed bits since the annual is due this month.

Well all the carpet I have on hand is in the aircraft. Waiting on the cargo area carpet to be re-cut by the shop 'cause what they sent me just wouldn't work.

Took the plane around the pattern and landed five times (a few gusts on one landing). Plane now in the A&P's hangar for annual inspection.

Back