ADHD Diagnosis?

Actually now that we are on the topic of ADD/ADHD, I never thought this could affect my ability to get a class III medical and obtain my PPL.

Can taking meds for ADD really mess that up?

Not can. Will.

Here's what AOPA medical services has to say:
Because of the potential for significant underlying psychiatric or psychological problems and the side effects of medications, the FAA does not currently allow medical certification for a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD requiring the use of medication.

For medical certification consideration, you will need to have discontinued all psychoactive medications for at least the preceding 90 days. After being off the medications for 90 days, a neuropsychological evaluation should be conducted. The neuropsychological evaluation must also include the following three tests:

Trail Making Test
Wisconsin Card Sorting Test
Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT)

If the airman is an adult who has been prescribed one of the stimulant-type drugs for ADD, but has not been diagnosed with the disorder, the medications will have to be discontinued for three days before undergoing the neuropsychological evaluation noted above.

In summary: The FAA views ADHD as both a lifetime diagnosis, and a disqualifying diagnosis. If you have ever had an ADHD diagnosis, you will have to prove (at your own expense) that you no longer have ADHD, and you can not be on any ADHD medications for at least 90 days, and you can not ever take them again.

If the ADHD diagnosis is real, and the medicines help, then you should stick to sport pilot.

Actually now that we are on the topic of ADD/ADHD, I never thought this could affect my ability to get a class III medical and obtain my PPL.

Can taking meds for ADD really mess that up?

I believe we have already mentioned Dr. Bruce Chien to you once or twice. He is one of the best Aeromedical Docs you can work with to get certification questions answered and dealt with.

That your here, telling us you have a disqualifying condition and ad are asking questions about it is a good thing. Much better to learn all you can now about how ADD plays with the FAA than to bomb into an AME's office and eventually be denied all flying privileges.

Seek out Dr. Bruce and get the straight dope on what is available to you and how to go about realizing your flying dream.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back