ADHD Diagnosis Reversed-Helpful?

A

AnonymousADHD

I was diagnosed about 35 years ago with "Adult ADHD" and started on medication, which was ritalin, then briefly, Adderal, then finally Vyvanse. Over time, the dosage was reduced because the side effects of such stimulant medications were had to live with.
I was always in doubt about this diagnosis. It came in a high-stress time of my life, our son seemed likely to have ADHD, and the whole "adult ADHD" thing was in the media all the time. So I thought I'd give it a try. In addition, I consulted with a psychiatrist for a total of maybe 10 minutes in which I recited the symptoms I'd read from books, which I did feel at the time I had to a certain degree. She immediately said it was adult ADHD and prescribed the medication. I'd heard these stimulant medications in fact wouldn't over-stimulate someone with ADHD like they would a "normal" person.
So for 35 years I lived feeling like I had a balled-up fist in my stomach, waking up 3-5 times every night, being irritable and impatient... being told I'd had too much caffeine!
So in January 2022 I just stopped taking the Vyvanse. I kept filling the prescription in case I did in fact need it, but I've saved the bottles and medication as proof I didn't take it.
The result has been wonderful. That fist is gone from my belly. I sleep normally. I"m much less irritable in general, and happier.
I confided all this to my Primary Care Physician after about 6 months and he concurred it sounded like a bad diagnosis and a good call to drop the Vyvanse. he also said if I got all my documentation together, he thought there was a good chance to get the diagnosis rescinded and removed from my medical history.
At this point, enter my aviation dreams! I realize that the 3rd class medical doesn't ask about rescinded diagnoses, but is a historical question, "Have you ever..." so I will obviously have to say "yes" to the ADHD questions.
My question for you all and any qualified folks on here, is would there be any value at all in pursuing the rescinding of the diagnosis and the removal of that item from my history? Would that have any impact on my airman's medical process, positive or negative?
Thanks for your time. I'm a regular on this forum and have gone the anonymous route for this post, but I want you to know I"m not a drop-in. I read this forum every single day and love it, and hope some day to be flying if I can get past the medical barrier.

I have done many. It can be done. Visit your AME and apply ... it will be deferred to the FAA. Wait for the FAA letter and follow their instructions.

I'm not a doc but I do fly as a Sport Pilot and would just remind you that it is an option as no medical is required (valid driver's license is required). Wading through the FAA medical process after a deferral can be quite costly ...

As have I. There is just an EXCESS of “let’s try the..(pill)”, instead of going to the neuropsychologist to get the diagnosis right.

As have I. There is just an EXCESS of “let’s try the..(pill)”, instead of going to the neuropsychologist to get the diagnosis right.

FAA needs to get it together on this

anyone with actual legit add couldn’t make it to the airport without their meds :eek:

Just wondering: Could a person with ADD pass a private-pilot checkride?

I was diagnosed about 35 years ago with "Adult ADHD" and started on medication, which was ritalin, then briefly, Adderal, then finally Vyvanse. Over time, the dosage was reduced because the side effects of such stimulant medications were had to live with.
I was always in doubt about this diagnosis. It came in a high-stress time of my life, our son seemed likely to have ADHD, and the whole "adult ADHD" thing was in the media all the time. So I thought I'd give it a try. In addition, I consulted with a psychiatrist for a total of maybe 10 minutes in which I recited the symptoms I'd read from books, which I did feel at the time I had to a certain degree. She immediately said it was adult ADHD and prescribed the medication. I'd heard these stimulant medications in fact wouldn't over-stimulate someone with ADHD like they would a "normal" person.
So for 35 years I lived feeling like I had a balled-up fist in my stomach, waking up 3-5 times every night, being irritable and impatient... being told I'd had too much caffeine!
So in January 2022 I just stopped taking the Vyvanse. I kept filling the prescription in case I did in fact need it, but I've saved the bottles and medication as proof I didn't take it.
The result has been wonderful. That fist is gone from my belly. I sleep normally. I"m much less irritable in general, and happier.
I confided all this to my Primary Care Physician after about 6 months and he concurred it sounded like a bad diagnosis and a good call to drop the Vyvanse. he also said if I got all my documentation together, he thought there was a good chance to get the diagnosis rescinded and removed from my medical history.
At this point, enter my aviation dreams! I realize that the 3rd class medical doesn't ask about rescinded diagnoses, but is a historical question, "Have you ever..." so I will obviously have to say "yes" to the ADHD questions.
My question for you all and any qualified folks on here, is would there be any value at all in pursuing the rescinding of the diagnosis and the removal of that item from my history? Would that have any impact on my airman's medical process, positive or negative?
Thanks for your time. I'm a regular on this forum and have gone the anonymous route for this post, but I want you to know I"m not a drop-in. I read this forum every single day and love it, and hope some day to be flying if I can get past the medical barrier.

This post sounds almost exactly like my history. I came off Adderall back in December 2022 and basically I had to get my 10 years of prescription history, a personal statement from me, a cogscreen/neuropsychological evaluation and pass the drug screen and I was good to go. I got through the cogscreen/neuropsychological with no problem and now have my medical so just be prepared to be patient. From the time I took my exam to issuance was almost exactly 5 months although It might have been quicker but I was also going through the sleep apnea protocol (which is now what my Special Issuance is for).

The FAA has the stance of, guilty until proven innocent.

The unfortunate thing is that if you think you have add, go see a doc get a script you have to go through all the hoops.

If you try to cure your add with meth, since they don't sell meth at CVS you can skate on by :D

It's kinda like the FAA believes the doc you had it, but then doesn't believe them you really don't have it if they prescribed wrong.

What I'm asking is, suppose the FAA allowed someone with ADD or ADHD to get to take a private-pilot checkride, would they be capable of passing it?

What I'm asking is, suppose the FAA allowed someone with ADD or ADHD to get to take a private-pilot checkride, would they be capable of passing it?

I'd be willing to bet that someone with ADD or ADHD would do very well with one or two tasks as hyper-focus seems to be a part of ADHD (especially if it's something the person enjoys) but when multiple tasks are introduced at the same time I'd think things would go south in a hurry.

Given how many (millions) of pilots who have been certificated over decades in the US and the apparent prevalence of ADD/ADHD in the population, it isn't only possible, it has certainly happened tens of thousands of times and perhaps a hundred of thousand or more.

Keep in mind that many of these were issued before it was a common clinical diagnosis.

Interesting. So I guess the next question is whether the FAA ought to consider the ability to successfully complete the training and pass the checkride to be sufficient evidence that a person with ADD/ADHD is a safe pilot, or are there other considerations that make that not a good idea?

By the way, are ADD and ADHD synonymous?

Interesting. So I guess the next question is whether the FAA ought to consider the ability to successfully complete the training and pass the checkride to be sufficient evidence that a person with ADD/ADHD is a safe pilot, or are there other considerations that make that not a good idea?

By the way, are ADD and ADHD synonymous?

The FAA is never going to do this.

I'm sure you're right, but the question might be relevant to sport pilots. (Not sure about BasicMed.)

Sport Pilots get dumped on sometimes as those that are medically unfit to fly because "no medical is required" but that's not the whole truth. A quote from this website sums it up fairly well:

Legally speaking, FAR 61.53 forbids a sport pilot from exercising his or her privileges "while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner." In other words, just like any other pilot, a sport pilot must self-ground during periods of known medical incapacitation.

https://flysportusa.com/med_cert.php

Yet I'm certain there is some truth to it as there are some taking advantage of the "no medical rule" to fly with a known disqualifying condition. Basic med is likely seeing some of the same concerns. This is understandable, to a point, because the FAA is quite rigid in their medical nit picking ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back