Address change weirdness

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
So I am maybe a unique case in this, but who knows.

[edit for clarity: the primary issue is the requirements for verifying ID/address at airman certification exams]

Bear with me, it's mildly complicated.

I travel overseas and in the US for pretty much every year, all year for work. For years, the only reliable permanent address available to me for all of my life necessities is a family address in one state. That said, my driver's license was recently updated to a new address in another state - for a variety of other reasons. BUT ... my old address is remaining as the only reliable way to get mail to me or track me down while I am away for work (which, again, is the vast majority of the year).

Yes, it can be a strange life. =)

Sooooo, what do you think is the proper way to handle this with the FAA? And what, when taking exams, is a legitimate option for verifying address (if I read things right, I can simply show my Airman's Certificate - assuming I am ok NOT updating it to the address I am almost never at anyway...)?

Any advice?

Last edited:
So I am maybe a unique case in this, but who knows.

Bear with me, it's mildly complicated.

I travel overseas and in the US for pretty much every year, all year for work. For years, the only reliable permanent address available to me for all of my life necessities is a family address in one state. That said, my driver's license was recently updated to a new address in another state - for a variety of other reasons. BUT ... my old address is remaining as the only reliable way to get mail to me or track me down while I am away for work (which, again, is the vast majority of the year).

Yes, it can be a strange life. =)

Sooooo, what do you think is the proper way to handle this with the FAA? And what, when taking exams, is a legitimate option for verifying address (if I read things right, I can simply show my Airman's Certificate - assuming I am ok NOT updating it to the address I am almost never at anyway...)?

Any advice?
Get a Private Mail Box at one of them Mr. Post Office joints that does mail forwarding. You will need a ‘domicile’ address to get one. Use the new one that you used for your new DL. Here’s the one I use. When I’m outta town, which is typically about half the year, I call them up every 2-3 weeks and tell them where to send everything. Here’s the one I use. https://www.shipshop.biz/

If I'm reading this correctly you're concerned about having an address that is not your primary residence in the FAA registry? I don't believe there's any issue with registering a mailing address, i.e. one where you receive mail but not necessarily where you live. While you're at it, take the time to block your address in the registry so it's not publicly viewable.

Nauga,
unlisted

Thanks Nauga. Essentially yes. Hopefully that means that having a current state ID with an address that's different from my FAA Airman's Certificate would be acceptable at an exam
- both at an exam (the more immediate concern) and to the FAA in general.

FAA has my current, proper mailing address on file.

And yeah, luvflyin - that's an option. Over the long term I'll likely set something like that up. It's just not a currently ideal solution.

Thanks Nauga. Essentially yes. Hopefully that means that having a current state ID with an address that's different from my FAA Airman's Certificate would be acceptable at an exam
- both at an exam (the more immediate concern) and to the FAA in general.

FAA has my current, proper mailing address on file.

And yeah, luvflyin - that's an option. Over the long term I'll likely set something like that up. It's just not a currently ideal solution.
Ah. My mailing address is what I have with the FAA. Unlike Drivers Licenses, which are subject to the Real ID Act, Pilot Certificates are not. The FAA has no idea where my Domicile is.

Yeah, it might just be a "problem" for the exam.

But then again, it might not even be a problem. Depends on how I read the documentation requirements for verification prior to the test. I just don't know yet and trying to get it sorted prior.

You can have a physical address and a mailing address. Those private PO Box services are a little costly, you can get a USPS PO Box which is pretty cheap depending upon the box size and location, maybe $125 per year. You can use the street address of the post office and add your box number as an Apartment or however you’d like, the mail gets put in the PO Box.

Some states allow a PO Box on a driver license, some do not. Typically you need some sort of address proof, such as a phone or utility bill. Some companies do not accept PO Boxes, and they have the street address blocked when you try to use them.

I do find it interesting that only the state has my address, via my Driver License, and other stuff goes to the PO Box, but I’m getting spam and BS mail in my home address all the time with my name on it. So the state does sell or provide your information to outside companies, I do not like that. I work very hard to limit spam mail, phone calls etc and the loose link of your private data is with the state DMV. Annoying…

As for your exam, it would be fine. The examiner might ask, how long do you have to update your address and you can just say 30 days and that you’re within the window to avoid further discussion. On the alternative, you can use an ID without your address to avoid the question altogether, such as your passport. Your pilot license or student license I believe counts as one ID and your passport as the primary ID.

Back