Address Book

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All;

My company gave me a cell phone. It is a Motorola, plain old cell phone.

I use Outlook for my personal address book.

I want to ad a "business" address book and plug my cell phone into my laptop and have it load all of my "business only" contacts.

Is there a address book program that I can purchase that will do this?

Where do I go to purchase such a product?

Thanks;

Terry :D

There are many programs available to sync various data to cell phones, almost none of which are endorsed by the phones' manufacturers or the service carriers.

Why neither the phones' manufacturers nor the wireless carriers provide supported software to do this is a mystery to me, as almost all phones possess these capabilities, but they're cumbersome to use without a computer interface. I suspect it's because the carriers want to push higher-end PDAs and their more-expensive data plans rather than ordinary phones.

Anyway, you don't mention the exact model phone, so this is general information.

BitPim works with many phones, but be careful. It's actually more powerful than it seems and, depending on the phone, provides pretty low-level access to the system. In other word, it makes it easy to break things, so resist the temptation to play too much. (This is what I use to manipulate data on my LG Voyager.)

I used to use DataPilot to do this with previous phones and I always liked it; but BitPim is free, and I am cheap.

SyncCell is another program that claims to be able to sync Outlook contacts (among other data) with a cell phone. Although I've never used it, a friend of mine who is in the cell phone business has, and he says it works well.

-Rich

Back