Adding Private Pilot Fixed Wing Certificate

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
I have my commercial/instrument rotary wing certificate. It is old, from when I was in the Army 23 years ago. I want to get my fixed wing, private pilot's license. I have forgotten just about everything that I learned but feel it will come back quickly as I get into the books on the ground school material. My question is how many hours are required for the transition to fixed wing? Is it the same as a student pilot just starting out? Thanks for your help.

20??? I seem to remember that’s from somewhere. My guess is it will take a bunch anyway. 20 years away from flying in general and no fixed wing.....hard to say. Good luck though.

The AOPA says 1 hour a year for rusty pilots which was pretty close for me. Sounds like the OP would be training from scratch pretty much, although some of the rotary stuff should transfer.

Check with a flight school of some flavor. I’d go to an ‘immersion’ type course, faster track. Much of the basics should be there, yes, a fair amount of new stuff too.

The Airplane PTS, ahh, correction, the Airplane ACS will tell you what to expect.
Als part 61 tells you what hours, training requirements must be met at the minimum.

But I agree, so much has changed that you will need a full refresher.

Back