Adding non-standard (read 'cheap') lights to home airstrip?

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
I own and live on a private turf airstrip, 7MN3, in SE Minnesota. The runway is about 2700X80 and nicely maintained. Until this year we've never had edge markers, since it's pretty easy to spot and obvious when you're familiar with it. This year the MN DOT told us that edge markers would be required to register it with the state as a landing strip (we would like it registered and charted, for various reasons). So, made some markers out of PVC pipe on top of disk blades, no problem, they are visible from pattern altitude as required.

Now that I've got them, I'd like to add lights to extend the usefulness of the strip. I first tried just putting a stripe of the 3M high reflective tape on the top of the markers, which kind of worked, but was only showing up in the landing lights on fairly short final (1/2-1/4 mile or so). I've got pretty good LED landing lights, so that's probably as good as it's going to get with the passive approach. Has anyone tried something like this:

https://www.trans-supply.com/gp-332-solar-360-airport-light-dual-function-screwbase.aspx

for runway lights. It's listed for airport use, but is intended for barricades, etc. not necessarily edge lighting. There are also lots of solar dock lights and similar products that may work, for similar costs, like these:

https://www.lakelite.com/products/2pk-solar-dock-post-lights-round/

I will probably just order a couple and see how far out I can see them, but wondered if anyone had any insights or suggestions to try. Ideally I'd like something that I can pick up from at least a couple of miles out, given clear conditions.

I'll probably also add a flashing beacon to the top of the 90' grain leg that is on the property, both for collision avoidance and to allow spotting the airport from farther out than just when on final. My avatar pic shows the layout of the field, grain leg is at the extreme lower right of the pic, runway is the obvious N/S strip of grass :)

Patrick

Last edited:
Back