Adding new smileys fo realzz

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
I've noticed that the smiley page on this site could use some work.

It could be better organized and some new smileys could go to be added.

I've been an admin on a message board that uses SMF software. If this software is similar, it should be possible to create a usergroup that only has access to the editor for the smiley page. Since I've done this before, I'll volunteer my services to improve the site smileys. I'll do this by a voting process. You vote in the smiley, I'll add it to the page.

Well, whoever calls the shots around here, what do you think??

Here's some smileys from the site that I admin. This is just a small sample, our site has about 300 or so.

beergrin.gif

5shots.gif

1964.gif

toofunny-1.gif

dom.gif

oneliner.gif

icon_tongue7.gif

hitler.gif

soapbox.gif

Pirate1.gif

ga.gif

tinfoil.gif

transport015.gif

deadhorse2.gif

party.gif

TrainWreck1.gif

Dear God...may as well make that one mandatory for all new SZ threads.
Typical, foreigners invade our land and then dictate what must be mandatory in our expressions to one another!!!

On this day of Canadian Thanksgiving I give thanks that we Americans will celebrate this holiday next month

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

[/sarcasm]

That one would get used a lot. I think the trainwreck would also tend to get used too!!

Hmmm, since there's been no replies from site admins, I take it the proposal is DOA??

I'd be open to this, but don't see a similar way to configure vBulletin to just allow management of the smilies. The closest thing that I can see is "Can Administer Avatars / Icons / Smilies" and I'm not keen on turning over access to manage avatars of the other users just for the purpose of getting a few new smilies added.

Perhaps you can organize some type of a vote on a subset of the smilies and we can upload the ones that people like?

Last edited:
I'd be open to this, but don't see a similar way to configure vBulletin to just allow management of the smilies. The closest thing that I can see is "Can Administer Avatars / Icons / Smilies" and I'm not keen on turning over access to manage avatars of the other users just for the purpose of getting a few new smilies added.

Perhaps you can organize some type of a vote on a subset of the smilies and we can upload the ones that people like?
Maybe you check with the guys over on purple on how they do it. I know the regular users do not manage the smilies but their admins have added a lot of fun ones.

The closest thing that I can see is "Can Administer Avatars / Icons / Smilies"

Here's how you do it. You create a new Admin usergroup, you could call it "Smiley Janitor". You check the permission for "Can Administer Smileys", then you UNCHECK all other admin permissions. Basically, I'd be an "Admin", but one who could only change the smiley page. I've done this before on SMF software, it worked out pretty good.

Here's how you do it. You create a new Admin usergroup, you could call it "Smiley Janitor". You check the permission for "Can Administer Smileys", then you UNCHECK all other admin permissions. Basically, I'd be an "Admin", but one who could only change the smiley page. I've done this before on SMF software, it worked out pretty good.

There is no "Can Administer Smilies" on VB, there is only a "Can Administer Avatars / Icons / Smilies". I'm not really willing to put our user avatars under the management of somebody for the purpose of updating smilies, but if it's important to you (which it seems that it is), I'll be happy to upload new smilies...I just don't want it to be a free for all. If those of you that care find a good set of fun/useful smilies and agree on them I'd be happy to take care of getting them loaded.

There is no "Can Administer Smilies" on VB, there is only a "Can Administer Avatars / Icons / Smilies". I'm not really willing to put our user avatars under the management of somebody for the purpose of updating smilies, but if it's important to you (which it seems that it is), I'll be happy to upload new smilies...I just don't want it to be a free for all. If those of you that care find a good set of fun/useful smilies and agree on them I'd be happy to take care of getting them loaded.

That sounds fine. I'll have to get to this later though, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Owen's valley and I'll be out camping for a week. :D

Here's some smileys from the site that I admin. This is just a small sample, our site has about 300 or so.
Hmmm, I seem to have guessed wrong

angryDrunkHookers.com is still available.

That sounds more antagonistic than I meant it. I just find smileys way overused:cryin:

I don't really care much about smileys one way or the other.

I will say that a bunch of those samples above are flat-out funny!:thumbsup:

Back