Adding EI MVP 50

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
My latest addition and subtraction from my panel. Taking out all the old engine gauges and adding a MVP 50 to the top of the center stack on my TB20. I'm hoping to have it all done in a couple weeks. The install will be done by then, but may be waiting on the new Ei magnetic float sensors to come in. Also moved the GTX 354 to the bottom of the center stack.

Before pic.
20180811_200027.jpg

During pic
20181126_175159.jpg

After pic....not quite done but close.
IMG_0920.jpg

That's some upgrade! :) Have you received the P-300Ms yet? Would you mind if I sent the pics to our marketing department for possible future use?

How are you liking the Avidyne 440?

That's some upgrade! :) Have you received the P-300Ms yet? Would you mind if I sent the pics to our marketing department for possible future use?

No I haven't, sent the old floats to ei on Monday so you should have them by now to calibrate the P-300M's. I'm excited to get it done! Yes, you can use the picture, but I'll be taking more pix when it's complete that I could sent. The MVP 50 fits so nicely in the center stack of the Trinidad!

How are you liking the Avidyne 440?

I love the IFD440, combined with the IFD100 app it makes a very nice panel. I'm planning on mounting the 12" ipad on a RAM mount on the right in front of the yoke, I'll run Garmin Pilot or FlyQ on that....

No I haven't, sent the old floats to ei on Monday so you should have them by now to calibrate the P-300M's. I'm excited to get it done! Yes, you can use the picture, but I'll be taking more pix when it's complete that I could sent. The MVP 50 fits so nicely in the center stack of the Trinidad!

It looks like a perfect fit and thank you very much for your permission! We would love to see more pics when you have it finished. If you have a return authorization number for your probes, I will check on production and see what I can do to expedite them through the system.

It looks like a perfect fit and thank you very much for your permission! We would love to see more pics when you have it finished. If you have a return authorization number for your probes, I will check on production and see what I can do to expedite them through the system.

RMA #DA2937

I just ran the tracking # of the shipment, looks like they haven't arrived with you yet, scheduled for Monday. Thanks!

RMA #DA2937

I just ran the tracking # of the shipment, looks like they haven't arrived with you yet, scheduled for Monday. Thanks!
I'll keep an eye out for them and get them through production as quickly as I can.

So my latest panel work is finally done, kind of. I love how it has turned out! I took it for a rest flight today, flew for about an hour just to see what is and isn't working properly. The only thing that isn't working is the MVP 50 is not talking to my IFD440, so I'm not getting fuel remaining data on my GPS. My A&P is going to contact Ei and troubleshoot it. Sorry for the glare in the screens, I'll get some better pix over the weekend.
20190103_141523.jpg 20190103_141617.jpg

Gary, it's very likely a simple wiring or configuration setting that will need to be adjust to allow the MVP and IFD440 to communicate. Both systems serial ports need to be configured with the same protocol. The MVP-50P is designed with an auto detect GPS feature, but it needs to be enabled on the Serial Port & External Warning Light Setup page. Setting the IFD's output to Aviation or Moving Map should do the trick if the wiring is good. If you need additional assistance, we'll be happy to work with your A&P to solve the problem.

Thanks Dave, I do know they used the same lines that were used for my original Ei fuel totalizer. So the IFD440 did talk to that fine, and settings on that haven't been changed.

If the IFD440's RS232 output wire is connected to pin 8 of the MVP-50's DB25 connector, it should just be a matter of enabling the auto detect function. Additionally, the IFD440's RS232 input wire should be connected to pin 7 of the MVP-50's DB25 connector.

Last edited:
I'll pass that on to my A&P. Thanks so much!

It sounds like the problem
Is in the wrong direction. He said his gps is not getting fuel remaining data. The output on the IFD should be set as Aviation and the in on the MVP should be set to auto detect. The input on the IFD and the output on the MVP should be set to Arnav/EI Fuel at 9600 baud.

So we got the Avidyne IFD440 connected to the MVP 50, everything is now working. Took a flight yesterday, did have #5 cylinder head temp giving erratic readings on the way home, they'd jump around very quickly and always reading low, guessing a loose connection.

Today I removed my seat rail ipad mount, and put a ram mount on the co-pilots side. With all my engine gauges now on the center stack I have plenty of room for it on that side. Looks great sitting in the hanger, we'll see how it works in the air sometime this week.

Overall I'm very happy with how this has turned out!

Attachments

• 20190106_150634.jpg
    20190106_150634.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 21
So we got the Avidyne IFD440 connected to the MVP 50, everything is now working. Took a flight yesterday, did have #5 cylinder head temp giving erratic readings on the way home, they'd jump around very quickly and always reading low, guessing a loose connection.

Today I removed my seat rail ipad mount, and put a ram mount on the co-pilots side. With all my engine gauges now on the center stack I have plenty of room for it on that side. Looks great sitting in the hanger, we'll see how it works in the air sometime this week.

Overall I'm very happy with how this has turned out!

Erratic indications are very often connection related. Especially with CHT as those probes do not live nearly as harsh of a life as an EGT probe.

Erratic indications are very often connection related. Especially with CHT as those probes do not live nearly as harsh of a life as an EGT probe.

Trying to chase this exact issue down right now on one cylinder on each engine. Last remaining issues I've been seeing. Loving them on the Seneca now Dave! Buyer loves it on the Lance we sold him as well!!

Trying to chase this exact issue down right now on one cylinder on each engine. Last remaining issues I've been seeing. Loving them on the Seneca now Dave! Buyer loves it on the Lance we sold him as well!!
Very glad to read! If you need any additional assistance in troubleshooting, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I put in an MVP 50 last April, and kept having erratic indications. Wildly erratic. Not a lot of them, just 2 or 3 channels. Turned out to b loose connection/broken wires at/near the barrel connection. There's just a lot of air movement in the cowl and even having them zip-tied judiciously I still would get a probe that would go from ambient to 350 or 1400 depending whether it was CHT or EGT. So, what I ended up doing was taking off all the barrel connectors, in some cases clipping off a little more wire to make sure it was a clean terminus, and redoing them. When I redid the connections I slid one heat shrink tube over each pair of the red and yellow wires on either side of the barrel connector. I heat shrunk both sides to provide some more strength that is lost from stripping the brown insulation back. After all the connections were redone, I took electrical tape and wrapped around each barrel connection, and about 2" each side of the connection making sure there would be no stress on the red and yellow wires. The zip tied the wires all back in place, and I haven't had any issues with erratic readings since.

Back