Adding Chapters to your YouTube Video

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Today I wanted to take some time to research and teach myself how to add time line chapters to my videos. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to add this feature to my video editing.

There are a couple of ways to attack the issue. First, you can add the time line, and description, when you upload the video.

Second, you can go back and add the time line by clicking on the "edit video" button on the bottom right of your video.

Once you have all the time markers added with their description, click on save. When you go to your videos and view you will see the chapter markers. If you place your cursor over those markers it will show the chapter description you added to the video description.

Pretty easy peasy. Give it a try on your next video production. At the very least it will help you find the points of interest you want to review.

Video production, my next endeavor this fall. Have an ipad pro, thinking of learning Luma Fusion.

not really new. well adding times isn't new, maybe calling them 'chapters' is. good to see people using the feature, I think it should be mandatory when a 12 minute video consists of 10 minutes worth of stuff u don't really care about.

not really new. well adding times isn't new, maybe calling them 'chapters' is.
What's reasonably new is they can show up as you play the video without having to go down to the description as shown below on my "10 myths in less than 10 minutes".Untitled.png

What's reasonably new is they can show up as you play the video without having to go down to the description as shown below on my "10 myths in less than 10 minutes"...

agreed. which really helps in videos like martin pauly's where he's got good information stuffed between a ton of straight and level fluff. I can pair down a 40 minute video to get the 3 minutes of info I was looking for.

OK, downloaded Luma Fusion last night, holy cow! Overwhelming at first, drinking from the firehose.

I tried doing a youtube flying channel once but every time I felt like there was something interesting to film, it would also be when I wanted to be most focus on flying. Like the first time I went through the NY VFR bravo corridor. I need a co-pilot that wants to do all the filming :)

Today I wanted to take some time to research and teach myself how to add time line chapters to my videos. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to add this feature to my video editing.

There are a couple of ways to attack the issue. First, you can add the time line, and description, when you upload the video.

Second, you can go back and add the time line by clicking on the "edit video" button on the bottom right of your video.

Once you have all the time markers added with their description, click on save. When you go to your videos and view you will see the chapter markers. If you place your cursor over those markers it will show the chapter description you added to the video description.

Pretty easy peasy. Give it a try on your next video production. At the very least it will help you find the points of interest you want to review.

I would like it a lot better if the youtubers jump right into the topic rather than give a long introduction, explain the reason why they made this video, then show an intro music. I usually click 30% past the start to skip all that. I understand some promotional material is necessary since these are free, but if you start annoying your viewers, they will find other things to watch.

I would like it a lot better if the youtubers jump right into the topic rather than give a long introduction, explain the reason why they made this video, then show an intro music. I usually click 30% past the start to skip all that. I understand some promotional material is necessary since these are free, but if you start annoying your viewers, they will find other things to watch.

The good thing is most of the usual suspects have a canned intro (and closing) that is the same junk every time. Get to know a creator's intro and closing and you know exactly how far into the video to skip and when you can hit the "X" because the actual content is over.

Back