Adding ASEL to ATP-AMEL

I've had several people here and, now, 4 different CFIs and multiple airline buddies tell me to get the ATP ASEL over the CPL, so I'm going to explore that route. Thanks for all the guidance. Turned out to be a good first thread.

If you do all the time and rating in the Lake, you probably will qualify to rent it on the insurance. Most fun flying I've done has been seaplane flying.

Henning, I like the water idea, but I don't think it's going to fit in my timeline right now. When it does, I'll give you a call.

In all honesty if you have a choice of ATPL or CPL for roughly the same time & money, it's a no brainier.

Not sure what makes it a no brainier, is there a use for an ATP/SEL? :dunno:

I have private ses privileges on my commercial certificate, it ain't holding me back.:lol: There is work and there is fun and no reason to rating up to work levels to have fun.

Easier to fly a VFR CPL ride in a new to you airplane, than fly a instrument ride to ATP standards in a new to you airplane with new to you avionics.

I have private ses privileges on my commercial certificate, it ain't holding me back.:lol: There is work and there is fun and no reason to rating up to work levels to have fun.

I have ASEL CP privlidges on my AMEL ATPL also.. The only reason is because I took my ATP in a ME airplane and there is no need to upgrade the ASEL.
That said, if I were to add SE after the ATP, or in your case add the SES after I had a CPL, I would go for the higher grade in all. Damn.. Too many letters. My head is spinning. :D

Easier to fly a VFR CPL ride in a new to you airplane, than fly a instrument ride to ATP standards in a new to you airplane with new to you avionics.

If this is the case for him, than it would be a valid reason. I never had great results with commercial maneuvers, and find flying a high standard of IFR easier. But again, everyone is different.

Not much... But, if it's no extra pain to get it, why not?

Last I looked an ATP ride cost more than a CP ride, that's about it since he already holds an ATP. The thing is, it requires more hours ($$$) in the single to get which is part of what brought the initial question set up. If the extra hours are coincidental hours to flying anyway, no difference. If not, that's significant cost with no recovery or practical benefit.

Last edited:

I guess which is easier might depend on what you do all day for a flying job. I could see an ATP having an easier time transion training an ATP ride across type than a commercial ride, especially if they haven't ever learned the ground reference maneuvers. I can pass a commercial ride in a new plane easier than an instrument ride, but that's because the vast majority of my flying has been visual, and I worked low level, hard maneuvering, visual pilot, jobs.

ATP can exercise the privileges of commercial, so the utility is exactly the same to me. Given some of the restrictions in my local area and knowing how I learn best, it turns out that the ATP will cost the same as the commercial. So it's a toss up. Like Henning, my day job has kept me flying visual maneuvers below 1000' AGL for many years, but I know that I transition instrument skills more easily and more quickly to a new airframe than I do other types of flying skills. Since I'll have limited time in the airframe that I check in, it makes sense to me to go ATP. For others, CPL would make more sense. Like I said earlier, 6 of one, half dozen of another. This thread has helped me figure it all out.

Done. Thanks to all for the advice and help getting me down the road. Sounds strange after flying mil for 20 years, but I'm finally a fully qualified single-engine (land) pilot.

Done. Thanks to all for the advice and help getting me down the road. Sounds strange after flying mil for 20 years, but I'm finally a fully qualified single-engine (land) pilot.

So what route did you finally take to get your ASEL?

Ended up going the ATP route for various reasons. Now, off to learn to fly a plane on water... In Vegas.

Did prep at and used a plane from Sin City Flying Club at VGT. DPE was from Elite Flight Training, also at VGT.

Back