Adding an additional Headset Receptacle

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
So my plane only has receptacles for the left and right seat. I can only reasonably carry 2 passengers, unless they are all very small, so I'd like to throw an additional headset port in the back.

Any suggestions on solutions? If you've done this before, how difficult was it and what was the cost?

Thanks

What kind of intercom system do you have? Most have connections for at least four people, but you need to know before you can estimate.

Assuming you have an intercom system equipped for more, it is labor and materials to run the cable, add to / modify the connector on the back of the intercom, new plug(s). Materials, not much ($50.00?), labor not inconsequential, as it usually requires pulling some interior panels to run the cable.

No worries about the OCD - I was actually looking for the best way to word it... "plug in"..."receptacle" etc, so thanks for the correction!

I'll take a look at the records and see what the intercom system. I'm not all that familiar on avionics.

If you wait until the annual the labor will be minimized.

My SL 15 connects all passenger headsets in series, so in that case there are really only one set of passenger outputs from the panel. So all the installer did was run one set from the panel to passenger 1, then run wires from jack to jack.

My SL 15 connects all passenger headsets in series, so in that case there are really only one set of passenger outputs from the panel. So all the installer did was run one set from the panel to passenger 1, then run wires from jack to jack.

I have NEVER seen microphone circuits wired in series.

In series? That would present an impedance mismatch and not only that, but a headset would have to be plugged in each Jack to complete the circuit. Paralleling another Jack would also present an impedance mismatch. You need to do those with the proper electronics.

Without researching it closely, I fully expect that the device Shawn linked in post number 8 would be a good solution. Simply wiring in jacks in parallel or series will best case present volume problems and worst case could overload something ruining equipment.

In my two place plane, there are two jacks on each side. One on the lower outer poison of the panel and the other behind the outer shoulder. They are there for convenience, allowing different positions for the headset cord. Since it is a two place, there is no need for more than one headset on each side. The jacks on each side are wired parallel.

Last edited:
Back