Adding a 3rd row seat to a Beechcraft A24R

Michael Hallowell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi, my name is Mike.

I purchased a Beechcraft A24R and it’s a serial number that is certified for 4-6 passengers but it doesn’t currently have the 3rd row seat or foot well installed in it. Has anyone made a 4 passenger Sierra into a 6 passenger or understand the process?

Thanks!
Mike

The Sierra's came from the factory as either the 4-seat or 6-seat depending upon how they were ordered. It is my understanding that there is no way to retrofit a 4-seater into the 6-seat variety. I have a 4-seat '74 B24R. Great flying planes...enjoy!

Join beechaeroclub.org if you haven't already. You will find answers to ANY question you may have about the Baby Beeches.

The last row is called "children's seat" which is a non adjustable bench seat that sits right on the floor. Legs straight out.
When the third row seats are installed, I think the second row (3rd & 4th) seats have to be the split type and not the bench type. 6 seats was an option for any plane beyond a certain serial number.

A second vote for Beech Aero Club. It is the best value in aviation.

Another endorsement for Beech Aero Club, but I believe you’ll learn it can’t be done.

Thank you for your time and for all information, you were all very helpful!

The answer is, if I recall, it depends on the airframe structure aft of the second row of seats. On the ones that came from the factory with the the third row bench, the area in front of the bench was dished out to allow for very modest accommodation of the third row seat passengers' legs and feet. The ones not fitted with seats had a flat floor to the rear bulkhead. The BAC consensus was that it was not practical to install the sheet metal to create that little footwell, without which the third seat would be next to useless.

I flew a B24R for two years. If, in the back seat area, there is a sunken area for feet, then it's a 6 seater (or at least, it should *really* have those back seats installed, as that's a 6 seat version). If the trunk area is flat and flush along the floor, then that's a 4 seater. Either way, *please* do not fly one of these fully loaded. Even when I was loaded at like 75% or so of max gross I would get anemic climbs on hot days past a few thousand feet. You don't want to screw around with that many folks on board!

Back