Addicted to Rotors...

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
So I took a demo flight at MG Aviation at GMU and sigh... I'm hooked. Is there a cure for this affliction? (I certainly hope not :D ) Simple demo flight in N292KC (R22), went from the ramp to Paris Mountain, got some time on the controls with the basics, then to downtown Greenville to show me some hover (out of ground effect), then back to GMU for an autorotation and some more hover. Then I was allowed to try my hand at the hovering. I think total I got about 30 seconds of solid hovering and about 2.5 minutes of "OH DEAR LORD" time. One control going out of where I wanted it was fine, I could correct that easily... when two controls got out of whack, that was interesting. Even got taunted by the Sheriff's office who was out doing some training with their heli. :rolleyes: But anyhow, some things look like they'll need to be gotten used to, but no different from any other challenge :D Can't wait to really get into it.

William are you going to give up your dream plane to learn to fly helicopters? I went for a ride in the R22 about 2 years ago and I had a blast.

I've been scared to try it. From what I've heard, the only hobby more expensive than flying airplanes is flying helicoptors.:rolleyes:

I know that I would be just as hooked if I were to allow myself the opportunity to try it.

Ahhh. I told you so William. I said a while back that there should be a required placard saying: "Danger. The Surgeon General has determined that helicopter flight is addictive.".

And an R22, even! Interesting that they demoed an OGE hover.

Learning to hover is incredibly frustrating for most of us. Then, all of a sudden, you'll be able to do it, and, in time, it becomes effortless.

I won't say "good luck" becuase if you stick with it, you'll get it!

wbarnhill said:
So I took a demo flight at MG Aviation at GMU and sigh... I'm hooked. Is there a cure for this affliction? (I certainly hope not :D )

So, when someone asks what it costs to become a PP, I answer around $5k, which is ballpark around here. How much does it cost to get your helicopter ticket?

Bill Jennings said:
So, when someone asks what it costs to become a PP, I answer around $5k, which is ballpark around here. How much does it cost to get your helicopter ticket?

I always go with saying 40 hrs at dual prices for an idea. So my PP was 4k, and a heli ticket would be ~12k. 3x the price, 10x the fun ;)

That was MG aviation, not MAG aviation, right???!!!;)

Sounds cool. Hope you can make that work out. I've always wanted to take a chopper ride, but never had the chance.

flyersfan31 said:
That was MG aviation, not MAG aviation, right???!!!;)

No if it were MG aviation, it wouldn't work due to the Lucas electrical system.

;)

William, you are screwed. No cure at all for this disease. Now you just need your lobotomy and you're all set!

Laurie said:
William, you are screwed. No cure at all for this disease. Now you just need your lobotomy and you're all set!
Pay attention to Laurie, William. You can't learn to hover until you've had your lobotomy -- then it's easy :D

RotaryWingBob said:
You can't learn to hover until you've had your lobotomy -- then it's easy

Hmmm. Just found out I am fully qualified to fly helicopters. Thanks Bob.....and Laurie!

With that title, I thought someone wanted to go mountain flying, standing lenticular.... :eek:

I've had a lot of fun riding around SW Missouri and up in the mountains of SLC and Colorado in Jet Rangers. I'd love to go get my rotary wing rating at some point ( I used to have this crazy idea of keeping an R44-sized copter at the airport in Winchester to make it easy to get up to my mountain property).

wsuffa said:
( I used to have this crazy idea of keeping an R44-sized copter at the airport in Winchester to make it easy to get up to my mountain property).

I have this crazy idea of keeping an R44-sized copter in the backyard, just to keep as a handy run-about. I'd get down to KLOM in 2 minutes instead of 12, maybe I could run my wife up to North Jersey when she has to go for meetings. Zip the kids to soccer practice, just land on the field. I could really get a lot of use out of it.......

flyersfan31 said:
I have this crazy idea of keeping an R44-sized copter in the backyard, just to keep as a handy run-about. I'd get down to KLOM in 2 minutes instead of 12, maybe I could run my wife up to North Jersey when she has to go for meetings. Zip the kids to soccer practice, just land on the field. I could really get a lot of use out of it.......

Wouldn't that be the life?

flyersfan31 said:

A veterenarian back east used a Sweitzer to turn 30-60 minute drives into 5-10 minute flights. Wore one out, then got another for a life long use of choppers landing in the ubiquitous barnyards of his clients/'patients'.

Back