Addicted to mountain flying...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Posting here so as to avoid jacking Bob's awesome thread too much...

Kent, Yes if you had traveled east from Landmark for 10 minutes of so you would have been to Sulphur Creek. I think you might have gotten the bug for flying in the back country on your short training session there. :yesnod:

Might have? Oh no, I *did*, no doubt about it. It's one thing to see a beautiful mountain from the highway that runs next to it - It's entirely another thing to have that mountain 20 feet off your wingtip and use it to give you extra lift. I love flying because it's a challenge, and mountain flying and landing at backcountry airstrips not only adds to the challenge, it allows you to see some of the most beautiful sights possible.

I think I need to move to Idaho or Oregon or somewhere out there simply so I can do more of it. MUCH more! :yes:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Permanently, hopelessly addicted. :yes:

Fellow POA ers as you thumb through these pictures take note of all the places that are readily available in case of an engine problem. See flying in the mountains is no different than flying out in Iowa. :yikes:

If I crash within 100nm of where I am based I will have a short trip to find assistance. I suspect this will not be the case if I go down anywhere in those photographs. To each his or her own.

It is pretty, though.

I also like mountain flying, not that I ever had much choice either back in the mapping days or even now.

If I crash within 100nm of where I am based I will have a short trip to find assistance. I suspect this will not be the case if I go down anywhere in those photographs. To each his or her own.

It is pretty, though.
I think the 5th photo (mostly yellow) is a mine of some sort...I won't disagree with the rest of them though.

I also like mountain flying, not that I ever had much choice either back in the mapping days or even now.

If'n ya wanna go up in the hills some Saturday or Sunday with nice weather, let me know.

Today was just a bit on the bumpy side so I turned it around before getting in any further over my head...I did manage a touch-n-go at La Veta before turning tail...

If'n ya wanna go up in the hills some Saturday or Sunday with nice weather, let me know.
Saturday or Sunday, ah that's right, you're a workin' guy now... ;)

I've got next Sunday off but not another weekend day (at least when I'm going to be in town) for awhile.

Saturday or Sunday, ah that's right, you're a workin' guy now... ;)

I've got next Sunday off but not another weekend day (at least when I'm going to be in town) for awhile.

Well then, maybe next Sunday.

Find the engine out LZ:

Actually, multiple options, if you know the country.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 34
We were doing Young Eagles at FTG on Sat am, and the winds picked up a couple hours earlier than forecast. My third flight of the day was the first time I didn't let the kid have the yoke. She was not happy, Dad in the back, on the other hand, was having a blast.

He likes roller coasters, she does not.

We should have a CO POAers flyin sometime....round up all the CO POAers and meet someplace. And not in Clark's hangar at below zero....

Salida, the center of the universe! Home of the Burning Chicken!

And one of the greatest airport managers around - Carl. Don't forget the crew cars have county plates on them!

And one of the greatest airport managers around - Carl. Don't forget the crew cars have county plates on them!
I don't know Carl. Seems like when I used to go to Salida regularly the airport manager was female. That was back in the early 2000s.

We were doing Young Eagles at FTG on Sat am, and the winds picked up a couple hours earlier than forecast. My third flight of the day was the first time I didn't let the kid have the yoke. She was not happy, Dad in the back, on the other hand, was having a blast.

He likes roller coasters, she does not.

We should have a CO POAers flyin sometime....round up all the CO POAers and meet someplace. And not in Clark's hangar at below zero....

I thought Saturday was a good day to stay on the ground so I just recalibrated the Aspen's magnetometer and did a couple trips 'round the pattern for 1.5 landings. The 1.5 was on full stop with a hundred foot bounce of the left main only. The first trip around the pattern I didn't even try to land it, I just "enjoyed the breeze."

So you don't like my cold hangar and the best burgers on the airport? Fine. You're nominated to make the arrangements...

So you don't like my cold hangar and the best burgers on the airport? Fine. You're nominated to make the arrangements...
Haha, I was tempted to add "large heaters" to that thread about things that are necessary for a hangar.

Haha, I was tempted to add "large heaters" to that thread about things that are necessary for a hangar.

Well maybe we could use your work hangar? Of course I'm sure we'd have to clean, polish, and wax the floor afterward (no scuff marks allowed!).

Well maybe we could use your work hangar? Of course I'm sure we'd have to clean, polish, and wax the floor afterward (no scuff marks allowed!).
Hey, my work hangar has been the site of some banquets and such. It's amazing how they disguised it. As far as the floor goes, it's shiny but slicker than you-know-what when it gets wet. I think they miscalculated on the finish. A little texture would have been better.

As far as the floor goes, it's shiny but slicker than you-know-what when it gets wet.

It's allowed to get wet??? I was sure they had a crew of lineboys in cleanroom suits with polish rags on standby to forestall such a possibility...

I thought Saturday was a good day to stay on the ground so I just recalibrated the Aspen's magnetometer and did a couple trips 'round the pattern for 1.5 landings. The 1.5 was on full stop with a hundred foot bounce of the left main only. The first trip around the pattern I didn't even try to land it, I just "enjoyed the breeze."

Hey, that was a 2-part statement - no problem with your hangar, just not in below zero weather....And they were wonderful burgers!

Hey, that was a 2-part statement - no problem with your hangar, just not in below zero weather....And they were wonderful burgers!

My comprehension not-with-standing, you're nominated! :D

That's just the way it goes sometimes...

As far as engine-out options, there was pretty much always a road or a river at the bottom of whatever valley I was in. As far as assistance, I was carrying a GPS PLB so not too worried about being lost and needing help - Push the button, wait for help to arrive. :yes:

As far as engine-out options, there was pretty much always a road or a river at the bottom of whatever valley I was in. As far as assistance, I was carrying a GPS PLB so not too worried about being lost and needing help - Push the button, wait for help to arrive. :yes:

It looks like there are many more clear 30 to 45 degree slopes to choose from. It just takes a different technique to land on those such as dive towards the slope :eek:, and then as you get close enough, go into a climbing attitude such that you land with almost no speed and settle onto the slope. Timing is everything (one chance only, no go around), and I don't know how to practice such a technique. :D I Don't think I would ever try that though.

It looks like there are many more clear 30 to 45 degree slopes to choose from. It just takes a different technique to land on those such as dive towards the slope :eek:, and then as you get close enough, go into a climbing attitude such that you land with almost no speed and settle onto the slope. Timing is everything (one chance only, no go around), and I don't know how to practice such a technique. :D I Don't think I would ever try that though.

About a year ago, there was a picture of a Maule or Supercub hanging upside down off a ridge by a ski after someone miscalculated the landing distance during such a stunt.

My comprehension not-with-standing, you're nominated! :D

That's just the way it goes sometimes...

ok - there's a separate thread around here someplace titled Colorado POAers or whatever....

About a year ago, there was a picture of a Maule or Supercub hanging upside down off a ridge by a ski after someone miscalculated the landing distance during such a stunt.

Are you talking about the Taylorcraft in Alaska?

Well, the landing distance was perfectly appropriate. The snow conditions not so much. Depends on how you look at it ;)

tcraft_air-national-buard.jpg

What you are suggesting is called pancaking it on to the mountain side. that is almost never survivable.

Like Kent, I am also an addict, and like Kent, I live in the midwest and don't get to do enough of it. I'm hoping for at least one trip to Idaho this summer. I plan to spend the last two weeks of September at Moose Creek.

Some of you will recognize this scenery.

mtn6.jpg
Westbound over Corona Pass

mtn8.jpg
Descent into Grandby for some touch and go's

mtn10.jpg
Climbing eastbound towards Corona Pass

mtn14.jpg
Eldora ski resort

mtn15.jpg
Eldora ski resort

mtn16.jpg
Barker Reservoir at the top of Boulder canyon near Nederland

What you are suggesting is called pancaking it on to the mountain side. that is almost never survivable.

That is probably because it would be so difficult to get the timing just right...

Like Kent, I am also an addict, and like Kent, I live in the midwest and don't get to do enough of it. I'm hoping for at least one trip to Idaho this summer. I plan to spend the last two weeks of September at Moose Creek.

Go for July 4 weekend in Granby - July 3rd is the Grand Reopening Party (altho it's open now) celebrating the renovation of the runway and such.
EAA Chapter 1267 community pancake breakfast and fly-in is Saturday July 3 from 7 to 11AM

http://www.granbyairport.com/

Back