Add

U

Unregistered

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was young, I found out that this needs to be reported. HOWEVER, I also found out the the FAA uses DSM IV for mental issues, and according to the DSM IV ADD does not exists, only ADHD. I was never diagnosed with ADHD only ADD, and apparently according to the FAA bible for mental disorders, ADD no longer exists. This gets me thinking that technically my diagnosis is no longer valid. So should I report?

<sigh> I think you know the answer.

They will find the meds, or the diagnosis codes, and fry you if you did not disclose. Instead, you can go to an aviation specializing psychiatrist and attempt to get the ADD diagnosis reversed. This you should do under the advisement of an AME, before submitting any paperwork anywhere. Aeromedicaldoc.com is the usual suggestion.

Aviation law is a little different than civil law in that you seldom get off on loopholes and technicalities.

Technically, you have a problem. An expensive problem. A do not pass go, do not collect $200 problem.

Do not just walk in and report your ADD with or without the H. That is the aeromedical equivalent to deliberately shooting yourself in the foot. It will lock you out of sport pilot and more than likely (IMO), any other "drivers licence medical" option that may come along.

If you are serious about getting the medical you need to get the testing that will prove to the FAA's satisfaction that it was all a big mistake and that you, at worst, have just a touch of AD(H)D. Expect to spend a couple thousand dollars.

Get the testing done first. See the attachment.

Don't even think about applying for the medical without the testing and favorable results.

Really.

Attachments

• Specs for NP Evals-ADD & ADHD-2013-01.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 128
Do nothing until you contact Doc Bruce, and then, do exactly what he says, no more, no less. Be honest with him, he will not abide anything less, but if there is any hope for you, he can make it happen.

Do nothing until you contact Doc Bruce, and then, do exactly what he says, no more, no less. Be honest with him, he will not abide anything less, but if there is any hope for you, he can make it happen.

Yeah - that's the deal: tell him the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

My parents had me diagnosed with ADD when I was 4! I don't think I will be able to forgive them if thinks don't work out. How could you possible do this to a 4 yr old?

Most likely your parents were not attempting to ruin the future of their 4 year old child. How could a parent know?

I'm just glad that my tonsillectomy as a 3 year old is not disqualifying.

Has anyone gone through this

Indirectly.

I was mentoring a student. He was getting ready to solo and needed his medical. I met him for lunch and he said something like, "I don't have any medical issues, so this should be simple. I took Adderall for a little while, but that was a long time ago so it should be no problem."

FAA won't let you fly, ever, with ADD/ADHD. You need to prove you don't have it. Since it's considered a lifetime disease - if you had it, you always will have it. But, if you don't have it, then you never did. So, you need do get checked by a psychiatrist, not a psychologist, counsellor, or family doc, and get your revord cleared

In the case of the student I was mentoring, I told him to contact Dr. Chien, tell him exactly the facts, listen to his advice, and di exactyly as he said. A couple months later he had a fresh, clean, no restriction class III medical.

You may actually have ADD/ADHD - but I think it's misdiagnosed in so many cases that you probably don't.

Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back