Add-on Q: CFIs

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Ron Levy intimated knowing how long before CFI intervention is a non-quantifiable skill. What would you say has helped you in making the determination? (Please don't just say, experience. :))

:rofl: Right -- knowing everything has helped me know that there are some things I don't know. And since "experience" is out as an answer, I'd say you've stumped this chump.

Well I have been called a know-it-all. Does it not mean what I think it means?:dunno:

Ron Levy intimated knowing how long before CFI intervention is a non-quantifiable skill. What would you say has helped you in making the determination? (Please don't just say, experience. :))
While experience is the real answer. It really seems to come down to comfort level. And that expands as you learn how to judge how late or badly will this person react to that situation and how quickly and correctly will I.

I think that I let students dig themselves into deeper holes now and yet I'm more comfortable watching them do it that I was in the beginning (not that long ago).

Well I have been called a know-it-all. Does it not mean what I think it means?:dunno:
Don't you know?

Joe

While experience is the real answer. It really seems to come down to comfort level. And that expands as you learn how to judge how late or badly will this person react to that situation and how quickly and correctly will I.

I think that I let students dig themselves into deeper holes now and yet I'm more comfortable watching them do it that I was in the beginning (not that long ago).

Don't you know?

Joe

Just because I know everything doesn't mean I know what I know is correct or incorrect. You know?

I know it's a dangerous maneuver when my eye balls have gone into unusual attitudes without me. :goofy:

Simple, it's judgment... based on experience. Ya can't get away from that word.

Just because I know everything doesn't mean I know what I know is correct or incorrect. You know?

Well I say you should know, and I am always right. Except for the time I thought I was wrong, but was really right.:rofl:

Sorry Richard, I can't put it into words either, without using experience/ judgement

Last edited:
Well I say you should know, and I am always right. Except for the time I thought I was wrong, but was really right.:rofl:

Sorry Richard, you can't label it without the experience/ judgement words
But, are you sure? And, are you certain you're sure??? :dunno:

:goofy:

Sorry Richard, I can't put it into words either, without using experience/ judgement
Well I'll try. If it's making you go "uh oh" then "holy crap!" then maybe it's time to do something... :dunno:

yea i suppose thats about right mari. when you start to wonder whats going to happen next its time to get ready

It's like when I was a teenager. I come home one night and Mom says "You've been smoking cigarettes." Another time, "You've been drinking." Still yet another, "You were hanging around that freddy kid again."
You just know. Like a parent.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and talk about lack of training - which is really experience, too, but not on-the-line kind.

When I was trained as an instructor, I was given a lot of training in "bad landings". BTW, that used to be in the 61.87 student solo requirements. "Recovery from bad landings, and go-arounds from the flare." That was removed, in '97, I think.

So, of course, since it is not in the PTS or in the 61.87 regs, it is not taught to student pilots anymore, and appearantly not to flight instructor candidates either.

But it is still a critical point to teach. Instructors should be well trained in appearing calm and not hovering around the controls, but cocked and ready to instantly, like a striking snake, grab the controls inches before impact to recover.

We just don't make'em like we used to.

God, I sound like an Old Man.

A buddy of mine is a tremendous instructor. He's the guy everyone goes to for help with "difficult" students.

The other day (after giving a BFR) he said that even he is surprised by what some pilots will do. He said the pilots that shock him the most are not student pilots getting their private but people getting BFRs--usually in their own planes.

He said these moments are when he wants to give the student $50 and tell him, "Thanks--you taught me something today--I didn't know an airplane/pilot could actually do that!"

It's like when I was a teenager. I come home one night and Mom says "You've been smoking cigarettes." Another time, "You've been drinking." Still yet another, "You were hanging around that freddy kid again."
You just know. Like a parent.
I just had to dredge this post...John's comment is too funny.

Back