Add-on PTT switches

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
So, let's say you are in a 172N that has not PTT on the co-pilot side and one of those ancient vanilla white colored audio panels. Is there a way one of those add-on PTT switches can be used without altering the aircraft? I have no idea how they hook up.

The old backup hand mic is still there also and useable but annoying.

David

You can purchase a push to talk switch that plugs in with your headset,so long as you have a headset jack on the co,pilots seat.check sports or wag aero.

You can purchase a push to talk switch that plugs in with your headset,so long as you have a headset jack on the co,pilots seat.check sports or wag aero.

Yep, have jacks on co-pilot seat.

Thanks for the info! I was not sure it would key the radios or not.

David

The Cherokee I flew to CA this week didn't work with my PTT for some reason. Seemed to key mic but no side tone came through. No idea why.

The Cherokee I flew to CA this week didn't work with my PTT for some reason. Seemed to key mic but no side tone came through. No idea why.

I don't know if this helps but there are two ways to wire the PTT. I'm sorry but I can't remember the details. I did have to change the wiring on the PTT for it work in my bonanza with my Garmin audio panel. The folks at David Clark sent me the diagram so I could make the change.

I don't know if this helps but there are two ways to wire the PTT. I'm sorry but I can't remember the details. I did have to change the wiring on the PTT for it work in my bonanza with my Garmin audio panel. The folks at David Clark sent me the diagram so I could make the change.

Find an old mic and plug it into the mic jacks... If it keys the radio then the add on PTT switch will work.... All it does is short to ground the transmit circuit....

If you already have an intercom (meaning left and right mic plugs are already separated) then why not add a right-side PTT switch ? It doesn't need to be more than a small, unobtrusive pushbutton switch and is probably just a single wire into the intercom. Here's where I put mine.

Attachments

• right side PTT switch.jpg
    right side PTT switch.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 58
Certain models of headset include an integrated PTT switch on the earcup. I recall it being pitched to CFIs who would be in and out of various planes which may or may not have a PTT sw in the right seat. It might be a solution for you without modifying the plane.

The club plane I first soloed in had one of those that velcroed to the yoke and plugged into the headset jack. When we replaced NAV/COM1, the shop installed a small PTT into both yokes, which eliminated a dangling coil wire.

We can help you with PTT switches and headsets if you need us.

Certain models of headset include an integrated PTT switch on the earcup. I recall it being pitched to CFIs who would be in and out of various planes which may or may not have a PTT sw in the right seat. It might be a solution for you without modifying the plane.

The club plane I first soloed in had one of those that velcroed to the yoke and plugged into the headset jack. When we replaced NAV/COM1, the shop installed a small PTT into both yokes, which eliminated a dangling coil wire.

That's a great idea!

Back