ADD During Highschool

T

t.michael

Hello all!

I know this question has been asked and I have read a number of forum posts on this topic but I am still unclear on how I should proceed regarding my situation.

I was an okay student in high school and my parents thought that trying medication would be worth it so we talked to my doctor and she asked a few questions and we walked out with a prescription for Adderal. This was my sophomore year of high school and I used it for less than a year before I stopped (with doctors approval) because I didn't think I needed it. Sure enough, my grades were fine and I got into the college I wanted. I am now a sophomore at my University and my grades have been just fine.

I know that I can perform my best without medication but the FAA does not seem to take people's word for that. From what I understand they want the neuropsychological test done to prove that I am safe to fly. During my last physical, I got a note from my doctor stating I have not taken any prescribed drugs for over 2 years and I am doing just fine. I honestly think my original doctor made a bad call when she diagnosed me with ADD but oh well.

Anybody been through this before that may have some input on what I should do next?

Thank you in advance!

How old are you now?
When did you stop taking the adderal?
What have you been doing in the interim.

Yep, you were screwed badly by an inappropriate Dx and Rx. You should have a frank discussion with a good psychiatrist (that's an MD, you're going to need one anyhow in most cases because the FAA will want a report from one). You should also have a frank discussion with a good AME as to what you should do BEFORE attempting to apply for a medical.

Sounds like roughly 16yo got the ADD diagnosis, took Adderall until about 17yo, and are now about 19?

A lot of the problems now are going to be trying to reverse the diagnosis. It can be done, and it has been done, IF you don't actually have ADD.

I am 20 now and the doctor last prescribed me Adderal when I was 18 (or rather that is when the prescription ran out so that is when he can verify I stopped). I graduated high school and have been a full-time student since then while working during the summer. That is a good idea to talk to a psychiatrist and AME. I have not applied for a medical as I have heard if you get denied it is a huge pain to get that reversed.

One summer session isn't going to be telling. If you can make it through college, the FAA may accept that you weren't really ADD. Otherwise, you've got a tougher road to prove you weren't. ADD is a lifetime thing, so you don't just "get better."

Tons of people have been through this.

First off DO NOT TRY TO GET A MEDICAL YET!!!!

Talk to this guy, let's just say it wouldn't be his fist rodeo on the subject, and be sure to let mom and dad pay this bill to fix their mistake.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Sorry you had bad parents who preferred to feed you drugs over be a parent

Tons of people have been through this.

First off DO NOT TRY TO GET A MEDICAL YET!!!!

Talk to this guy, let's just say it wouldn't be his fist rodeo on the subject, and be sure to let mom and dad pay this bill to fix their mistake.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Sorry you had bad parents who preferred to feed you drugs over be a parent

That's friggen unfair to the parents. You try to do your best for your kids. Neither of my kids are on medication, but it's a fine line somedays (I call myself a bad parent for avoiding medication, and I'd call myself a bad parent for doing meds). Kudos to the parents for being flexible enough to try it but not keep going if not needed. The parents' world likely did not revolve around FAA medical rules. This is POA and anybody can say what they want James, but I think you ought to walk this "sorry you had bad parents" BS back. You don't know, and I sure as heck don't.

Sorry, everyone who goes up to bat doesn't win a award in real life, there are stellar parents, mediocre parents, horrible parents and everything inbetween. Drugging your child because they require more stimulation or attention than you want to give, that's crap, sorry.

Just for the record. I did not take medication my senior year of high school or at all in college. I am now a sophomore in college so it has been nearly 3 years of school with no meds. The only reason my doc said less is because the prescriptions were written in advance and that is when the last one could be filled. Given he doesn't see me every day he could only verify it that way.

Thank you for the ideas and recommendations. I will email Dr. Chein and get his thoughts and assistance on the matter. This is an issue that seems to come up a lot and I really wish doctors who diagnose kids knew the possible impact it could have on the kid's career choices.

Thanks again!

Just for the record. I did not take medication my senior year of high school or at all in college. I am now a sophomore in college so it has been nearly 3 years of school with no meds. The only reason my doc said less is because the prescriptions were written in advance and that is when the last one could be filled. Given he doesn't see me every day he could only verify it that way.

Thank you for the ideas and recommendations. I will email Dr. Chein and get his thoughts and assistance on the matter. This is an issue that seems to come up a lot and I really wish doctors who diagnose kids knew the possible impact it could have on the kid's career choices.

Thanks again!
Sigh.

Even if the doc retracts the diagnosis and pays back $$$$ to the insurance company, with that history it carries no water. One month of Rx- SOMETIMES.

The FAA has a waiver for this it's attached. There is no way around this. They expect that you will use a HIMS certified neuropsychologist. They do not waive the waiver for this situation. You have to outperform the bottom 15th percentile (in most of 12 aviation relevant categories) and then you can be issued.

I have a Wisconsin based UND grad who sold his 2004 Monte Carlo to get this done, and he's working in the industry currently.

Thanks again!
The post just above mine is the AME you said you would email. I will say that I was mentoring a student about 5-6 years ago with a very, very similar experience to yours. With his assistance, that student got his unrestricted medical. I don't know your specifics, but don't get too discouraged.

I thought the ADD fad had died down recently, but it seems to have caught you.

Anybody seen a 2004 Monte Carlo cruising around Peoria?
I've got an 1986 Monte Carlo, but it's hiding under an Avanti body.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back