Adapting a Microphone (attn Jim Weir)

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
I understand that modern microphones don't work on aircraft radios because of aviation's standardization on the old carbon mike characteristics. Headsets, etc. that use dynamic or electret mikes include the small amplifiers to emulate the carbon-mike's output.

We started discussing throat mikes on another group. There are a lot of good-quality throat mikes out there, but of course, finding an aviation-compatible one is much more difficult.

What do you think about buying an aviation mike element from ACS and cannibalizing it to use a modern throat mike?

Ron Wanttaja

Actually, a small cap to block the DC (22uf or so) and perhaps a resistor is probably all you need to interface a amplified dynamic or electret mic to use on an aircraft radio.

There are several problems there to deal with. I've got to head out to the airfield to pick up some parts. I'll give you the rundown when I get back.

What do you think about buying an aviation mike element from ACS and cannibalizing it to use a modern throat mike?

Ron Wanttaja

Let's see what Shane has to say and then I'll chime in. He is the resident expert in the microphone arena.

Jim

Eh crap. Sorry, forgot about this!

Jim may have a solution that will conquer the hurdles.
Intelligibility is the biggest hurdle you face with a standard throat mic in an unpressurized aircraft environment.
Let me do some research on the cannibalization of an ACS mic. In theory it would "function" but my concern with your application would be sensitivity with the embedded amplification.
(I.e. Resting pickup in a constant pressure application.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks, Shane...no rush, just looking into a potential winter project.

I've always heard not-so-great things about the intelligibility of throat mikes, but I've seen some pretty positive reviews by motorcyclists.

On the other hand, all the old movies (yes, I know...) I've seen show the actor pressing the mike against his neck when he talks, and that's not the way I want to go. If the strap needs to be real tight for it to work, won't want that, either.

I'm wearing ear buds under my leather helmet for the *almost* no-headset look; would love to get the microphone out of sight, too.

Ron Wanttaja

Back