Adam Kite - Region 9 North

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Adam Kite, who very occasionally posts here, is competing this week at the Region 9 North contest in Logan, UT. Adam is flying his Standard Jantar, this is his first contest. He started out well today on the practice day with a 3rd place finish out of 13. not too shabby! hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Here is a link to the score sheet. http://www.ssa.org/members/contestr...ntestDetailId=4913&ContestName=Region+9+North

Adam hasn't uploaded his flight to the OLC yet so I guess I'll have to put up that link tomorrow.

Very cool Noel in second place very nearly beat me in the Region 8 contest.
Noel will give them a good run for there money, wait there is no money.

Oh well you get the idea.
Hope they have a good contest.

Wish Adam the best, if he makes home every day it will be a great contest for him.

Brian
HP16T N16VP

Last edited:
Yesterday was a practice day. Adam was a bit too focused on making minimum time, lollygagged around on the last leg to try to make minimum time, and probably would've ended up faster just taking the minimum time penalty and finishing fast. he ended up with a minimum time penalty anyway and was only a few points behind Noel.

looks like they'll be running the ridge today.

Just got off the phone with Adam. He finished 4th today out of 17 Sports Class competitors. I don't think he's had a chance to upload his flight to the OLC yet and the scores haven't been posted yet to the SSA's website.

If you (like me) pulled up the SPOT tracker page today and wondered why it wasn't working, someone forgot to turn the switch on this morning. have no fear i'm told that they'll remember from now on.

Nice Flying Adam. Now learn how to use your PDA so you don't come in under minimum time. :)

Way to go Adam, just keep doing good consistant flights without any serious mistakes and you should stay in the top of the pack.

Brian
HP16T N16VP

Just looked at the spot tracking page. The weather must not be that great they called a MAT along the ridge. Could make for an interesting day...

A few OLC traces are up from today. Looks like it was a ridge day for sure. Adam texted me and said he got 2nd for the day and is up to 2nd overall! Awesome! No scores up on SSA website yet. Go Adam Go!

from the contest report and the scores it must've been a tough day. a few guys were never able to connect even after a couple relights. everyone bobbed up and down the ridge to the north of logan as a forest fire TFR was south of the airport. In what I find an amazing example of diplomacy one of the pilots was actually able to convince the powers to be to reduce the size of the fire TFR in order to allow the contest to proceed.

The Duo Discus that won the day was the only glider to make minimum time. Everyone else was under, many were more than 15 minutes under. Hopefully the weather improves!

Isn't Logan Adams Home turf? I am sure that really helps there. I am sure I would really suck at trying to run the ridge. Perhaps I will have to see if I can make it down there in September when our local group of pilots goes down there and see how I do on the ridge.

Brian

yep he is in the club at Logan. I'm sure it does help, especially on the challenging days.

We really need to goad him into providing us daily updates though.

he called me after day 1. i was sitting by the phone all night waiting for him to call last night but he never did :'( In his defense he lives in Ogden and is driving home every night and not getting home until 9 or later PM. Then he has to take care of after flying stuff and get a decent nights sleep before up early in the morning to go back to Logan. So I can't say as I blame him for not posting daily updates. He didnt even (apparently) have time to post his flight to the OLC last night.

yesterday was another second place finish for the day and he stays in second overall, closing the gap on the leader.

the winner, Bruno Vassel, screamed around the course at 72ish mph handicapped. If Adam would've stuck with his initial game plan he probably would've been right there with him but some early thunderstorms in the task area led him to run farther north into the first turnpoint which meant he spent less time running the ridges where the real speed is at. He still was something like 62 or 64 mph, not too bad and second is nothing to be ashamed of.

Here is his OLC trace: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1438981

For comparison here is Bruno's flight: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1438974

pretty cool stuff. what do you guys use for your tracks to post to the website? A small GPS like a Garmin, or just a GPS Logging type device?

any gps that can produce an .igc file is valid for posting to the OLC. Garmin handhelds, many PDA's with GPS input, some small standalone GPS loggers, as well as full fledged expensive FAI certified sealed and secured GPS dataloggers are all options.

most of the pilots probably have an FAI logger along with some sort of PDA either feeding off that GPS or with its own GPS antenna. Everyone definitely has at least one GPS display in the cockpit. Most people also have electronic variometers (vertical speed) with built in glide computers and other fancy technical gizmos. Racing glider cockpits are definitely high tech environments.

I just heard from Adam. Scores are posted. He got 3rd today and remains 2nd overall. Encouraging news is that he beat the 1st place pilot and has closed the lead to about 120 points. Bad news is that the winner of the day jumped up to 3rd and is only 70ish points behind Adam. Two more days left!

looks like MAT on the ridge again. Wind only forecast 3-6 mph out of the northwest though so it will probably not be true ridge lift, but Adam says the ridge kicks off good thermals. go man go.

Great, it was 24 Gusting to 32 last night in Arco, ID when I took the tow plane up to Mackay for out Annual Soaring Safari for the next two weeks. I didn't stop for fuel due to the winds, I usually stop and top off the tow plane there.

Brian

Well at least you guys aren't under water like us here in WI. 8" of rain in parts of milwaukee last night. WX tomorrow is supposed to suck outright, and even if it gets warm on Sunday It's gonna be weak because of all of the moisture. Ahh the joys of soaring in the mid west :-(

Adam got out of yesterday in 3rd place when the chips finally fell. Today his flight was a struggle and instead of gamble too much and risk landing out to really ruin the day he finished 22 minutes early. This was pretty rough on his final speed for the day but everyone else must've struggled equally because he maintained third place to finish on the Podium in his first contest ever. He reported that he got a trophy for most points by a Newbie.

CONGRATS ADAM!

Last edited:
Back