AD Interpatation

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Per the AD as noted below, specifically #4, does this mean this part will have to be replaced even if it is damaged sans the absence of the kit number in #1?

82-27-08 Forward Fin Spar S/N 38-78A0001 thru 38-82A0122.
To prevent possible failure of the fin and associated fuselage structure because of fatigue damage.
(a) On S/N 38-78A0001 through 38-80A0198
(1) On airplanes which do not have Kit P/N 764427 on an undamaged forward fin spar.
Before 325 hours and then at intervals not over 100 hours thereafter.
(i) Inspect the forward surface of the forward fin spar web P/N 77601-03 in the area of the forward fin spar
attach fitting P/N 77553-05 for cracks using a dye penetrant method. Remove two forward fin attach bolts
and displace fin spar 1/8" laterally in each direction to increase visibility of spar area adjacent to
edge of attach fitting. Remove any scuff marks on spar by burnishing prior to applying dye penetrant.
(ii) Replace or repair forward fin spars having cracks exceeding 1/2" long with forward fin spar
P/N 77601-1 and Forward Fin Spar Modification Kit 764427. Replace or repair parts which have cracks less
than one-half inch within 25 hours.
(2) On airplanes without fuselage bulkhead assembly P/N 77553-06.
Before 325 hours and then at intervals not over 300 hours thereafter.
(i) Inspect the fuselage bulkhead assembly P/N 77553-02 at fuselage station 221.42, in the area of the
Forward Fin Spar Attach Plate P/N 77553-05, for cracks using a dye penetrant method or equivalent.
Access the aft side of the bulkhead by removing rudder and adjacent access door and to front side by
removing the luggage compartment rear partition. When using luggage compartment, provide a stand to
support the aft fuselage and provide a support board for the mechanic.
(ii) Repair or replace bulkheads having cracks exceeding 3/4" long with bulkhead assembly P/N 77553-06,
or equivalent part. Replace or repair parts which have cracks less than 3/4" long within 25 hours.
(3) On airplanes without Aft Vertical Fin Spar Assembly P/N 77601-16, Upper Rudder Hinge Shim P/N 85606-02,
and Fuselage Bulkhead Assembly P/N 85615-02, before 2500 hours and every 200 hours thereafter,
(i) Inspect Aft Vertical Fin Spar P/N 77601-02 for cracks as per SB 745, Part IV, by dye penetrant method or equal.
(ii) If cracked, repair or replace Aft Fin Spar P/N 77601-02 and Aft Fuselage Bulkhead Assembly P/N 77554-02,
with Aft Vertical Fin Spar Assembly P/N 77601-16, Upper Rudder Hinge Shim P/N 85606-02, and
Fuselage Bulkhead Assembly P/N 85615-02.
(4) Within 25 hours or at 3000 hours TT, whichever is later, and thereafter at intervals not over 3000 hours, replace
the Forward Fin Spar Attachment Plate P/N 77553-05 with a new part.
Thanks

Sounds to me that the 3000 hour is a time life and must be replaced at that time.

Edit.

After reading the whole AD, YES it is a time life item. and must be replaced no matter its condition.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the popcorn. The AD is pretty straightforward. The (a)(1) "airplanes that do not have the kit" construction applies only to the paragraphs (i) and (ii) which follows.

As TomD notes the part referenced in (4) now has a 3000 hour life, but they give you 25 hours of grace to replace it from the issuance of the AD even if it has 3000 hours or more on it.

I'm not sure about the popcorn. The AD is pretty straightforward. The (a)(1) "airplanes that do not have the kit" construction applies only to the paragraphs (i) and (ii) which follows.

As TomD notes the part referenced in (4) now has a 3000 hour life, but they give you 25 hours of grace to replace it from the issuance of the AD even if it has 3000 hours or more on it.
It's pretty common knowledge that the Tramahawk has a life limited tail.

Means (in this case) that I'm monitoring the thread for my own educational purposes and I have nothing worthy for contribution to the discussion.

Traumahawk??????????

It gained a pretty bad reputation in the day for its stall characteristics, and there were more crashes than other trainers, though not enough to make a statistical difference. The reputation persists to this day.

It gained a pretty bad reputation in the day for its stall characteristics, and there were more crashes than other trainers, though not enough to make a statistical difference. The reputation persists to this day.

Know the plane very well...did my primary in a brand spanking new one @ N57 during the the Carter administration... Leaned to spin it too!!!! Have about 250 hours in one and have an opportunity to pick one up cheap... hence my question on the recurring AD for the tail...

The issue came regarding the stall of the plane.. Bu it is not like the plane doesn't warn you of the impending stall.... Here is a whole article on the Tommy..

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9702.html

To this day every CFI I have had to do a power on/off stall recover always compliments me on how well I recover..can't say much about the rest of the flight.. :eek:

Yeah with all that sheet metal flappin' around (oilcanning) as critical angle of attack is reached, it gives plenty of warning. Actually kinda bothering when in a high time trainer. (can only bend a piece of metal so many times before it breaks)

Back