ACY Approach Can't Hear Me?

RiverHigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RiverHigh
Hi all,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while.

I'm private pilot who a few days ago rented a plane to fly south along the New Jersey coast. My plan was to fly past Atlantic City for some brief sightseeing, and then head north.

The outer-shelf of ACY is 1,300 I think. I was flying 1,500, so I figured it would be worth calling for a transition just in case I find myself cutting through a sliver of their airspace.

I first say, "Atlantic City Approach, N1234 17 northeast at 1,500, request transition southbound for sightseeing east of Atlantic City boardwalk."

However, I get no response. I try again about 13 miles out, still don't get acknowledged. I try again one more time (this time just saying, "Atlantic City Approach, N1234"), and they still don't respond.

Now, they seemed busy, talking to other aircraft. But I couldn't help but wonder if I had set up my radios improperly? I used the CTAF for my departure/arrival airport and the other pilot's heard me fine there.

Anyone know what may have been amiss?

By the way, I had a GPS, so I decided to just keep east of their airspace. I flew past Atlantic City fine, but decided to turn back north a bit earlier than I planned.

Last edited:
Although I haven't been in ACY airspace (or near it) in several years they have had a very bad reputation of being hard of hearing when bugsmashers call up, and quick to drop you if you are lucky enough to get flight following.

-Skip

I did a flight with them at night recently and my solo long cross and did my 3 towered airport requirements as well.. They did come back to me like 5 mins later first time I was like flying north wondering what was happened I nudged them a little bit but they were super kind very accommodating and understanding of my newbieness I think something wrong with your radio honestly.

Although I haven't been in ACY airspace (or near it) in several years they have had a very bad reputation of being hard of hearing when bugsmashers call up, and quick to drop you if you are lucky enough to get flight following.
They wouldn't be the first. It's funny how once I got proficient at radio work, slow but sometimes cranky places like Greensboro and Savannah never have problems hearing my radios any longer. The slower the airport, the slower....

I've had nothing but positive experiences flying to ACY and transitioning their airspace. They've always been quick to respond and just as quick to accommodate. If it's your initial call maybe just try querying with "Atlantic City approach, N1234," and wait for them to respond before continuing with your request.

I've had nothing but positive experiences flying to ACY and transitioning their airspace. They've always been quick to respond and just as quick to accommodate. If it's your initial call maybe just try querying with "Atlantic City approach, N1234," and wait for them to respond before continuing with your request.

Exactly my experience as well.

Nothing but good experiences with ACY. It's possible the controller was working multiple frequencies. Could you hear both ends of the conversation? One trick you might try next time is calling them on one of the other frequencies listed. So if you we're ignored on 134.25, you might try calling again on 124.6. They're suppose to monitor all of the sector frequencies they're working, but sometimes they miss you. Good luck.

I flew into ACY for the first time, a few weeks ago. I was handed off from McGuire approach to Atlantic City approach. No problems at all. Can't wait to go back and fly over the boardwalk next time:)

Thanks all :)

I think Brad may be right. I should've tried calling them on their other frequency too.

Perhaps next time I'll see if I have the same issue.

I use ACY when going up and down the coast never had a problem I would check my frequency.

Add me to the list of happy ACY users. Very accommodating regardless of VFR or IFR.

I had this same thing happen to me yesterday with another approach. I made 7 attempts over a span of about 5 minutes. I successfully contacted another airport for a radio check, then went back and tried a few more times. No response at all. I was at a higher ALT then other traffic calling in. I understand that they don't need to deal with VFR traffic, but it would be nice if they could at least acknowledge you and tell you they cannot help. They were not even that busy. There was minutes of dead air time.

Back