Actual IMC IR training

There is an easy way to mitigate the risks associated with losing visual contact with the runway on a circling approach. Assuming you are lined up on the opposite runway to begin with and with runway in sight, begin your circling maneuver with a coordinated standard rate turn until you are on the heading perpendicular to the runway then immediately turn at standard rate in the opposite direction until you are again on the opposite runway heading. You are now on the downwind leg. Here's where timing comes in handy. Stay on this heading until you are at the place where your base leg should begin. Your base turn should be a coordinated standard rate turn 180 degrees. Don't square the base or final turns, just make one steady turn onto the final heading. Remember, you are in IMC so looking out for other traffic should not be an issue. The key to success with this technique is to nail the turning rate and rollout headings. Crosswinds complicate it and you'll have to compensate a little but if the crosswind component is small you can catch up on the final.

Yep, that sounds perfectly simple. Need to be keeping an eye on the airport while making sure my turn is standard rate and watching the sweeping second hand (or hitting the timer).

I think my point is proven. :yes:

Because unless you are intimately familiar with the obstructions around the airport, you are liable to hit something you can't see at night. Only ways I do night circling are:
  • Home airport (or other really familiar one)
  • Moonlit night where I can see everything
  • MDA high enough to enter the regular traffic pattern in visual conditions

That would be a pretty strong moon to shine through whatever required the approach in the first place! :D

There is an easy way to mitigate the risks associated with losing visual contact with the runway on a circling approach. Assuming you are lined up on the opposite runway to begin with and with runway in sight, begin your circling maneuver with a coordinated standard rate turn until you are on the heading perpendicular to the runway then immediately turn at standard rate in the opposite direction until you are again on the opposite runway heading. You are now on the downwind leg. Here's where timing comes in handy. Stay on this heading until you are at the place where your base leg should begin. Your base turn should be a coordinated standard rate turn 180 degrees. Don't square the base or final turns, just make one steady turn onto the final heading. Remember, you are in IMC so looking out for other traffic should not be an issue. The key to success with this technique is to nail the turning rate and rollout headings. Crosswinds complicate it and you'll have to compensate a little but if the crosswind component is small you can catch up on the final.

I can't quite tell if this is a joke or not. Okay I'm going with joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back