Actual email correspondence with client

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I did a routine new PC installation for a retired couple last week, which included data transfer. This lady has been having a hard time opening a previous year's Turbo Tax file, which I know nothing about, and requested help. Here's the dialogue:

Email from Betty:

Hi Richard: I was starting my Turbo tax for 2009 but I cannot seem to access the prior year's info. Any suggestions where the file is or how to access it? Betty

My Reply:

Look in Users/Public.

Betty:

Why is it public? I don't want anyone seeing it.

My Reply:

"Public," in this sense, doesn't mean the whole world. It means "All Users" on that particular computer. It's stupid, but that's how Microsoft did it.

Betty:

hmmmm can't seem to find it on my computer. Please give me specifics how to find it on my computer and why could I not find it at Mozy?? Thanks.

My Reply:

Click on Computer, then Users, then Public. It should be in there.

Betty:

OK I found it it under Users/Public but when I try to open it keeps saying do I want to run or save. I tried both. Does it need to run with another problem, adobe, internet explorer?

My Reply:

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to use Turbo Tax. I transferred the data, but beyond that, I'm pretty much clueless how to actually use the software. It's not something that I have occasion to use.

Betty:

Tried but no luck. Can you tell me what to do when I go to... computer, users, public and I see the turbotax file what do I do to view or open the file? when I click on Turbo Tax it just open a folder.

My Reply:

I'm sorry, but I really don't know much about TurboTax. I think possibly you have to start the program and then open the file, rather than the other way around. But that's just a guess.

Betty:

Hi Richard: sorry to bother you again but I am really frustrated. I am able to open 2007 Turbo Tax file. How do I get that info into Turbo tax 2009?

My Reply:

The only thing I can suggest is looking to see if there's an "import" function somewhere. Either that, or try calling Intuit Support. Or you can try searching the help file for "import" or "open previous year."

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Betty:

Richard please ignore my recent emails. I was finally able to download 2008 turbo tax info. Thanks for all your prompt replies..

My Reply:

You're very welcome. Any time.

I also will ignore your recent emails, as requested. Please ignore my replies to same, as well.

Best,

Richard

I'm afraid my response would have been "Do you still have the box the computer came in?......"

Oh the joyful world of phone based support :D

You understand why Dell uses those polite indian guys in Bangalore to tell you to re-boot.

Richard,

Are you sure her real name is Betty? That exchange sounds like it came from my house. In Dallas.

Wayne

Back