ACTs on Saturday

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Yep - that's right. I was one of the stupid kids that never took them in high school because I was "too cool to go to college."

Now I find that if I want to continue and get a 4 year degree, I need to take them or the SATs (I've found in my search that most schools take ACTs and only a few take SATs anymore...those that do take SATs seem to also take ACTs).

I registered a few months ago, and then forgot. Now I'm cramming on stuff I haven't touched in almost 7 years. I can't believe I used to know this stuff.

Good luck Nick,
I just took mine before I graduated(2004) I am sure I remember some of it, if you have questions I would be glad to try and answer.

There were a few things on that test that I had never heard of, nor learned about in High School.(at those times it is good it is a multiple choice test.)

NickDBrennan said:
Yep - that's right. I was one of the stupid kids that never took them in high school because I was "too cool to go to college."
I took all the tests but never went to college. Then I went back at 25 but never finished. Now, at 37, I'm working 50-60 hrs a week and going to school full time.

Advice (worth what you paid): go to school NOW and reap the benefits sooner. And there are benefits. I'm making pretty good money now but I'd have been making it closer to ten years ago if I had gone to school.

NickDBrennan said:

Now I find that if I want to continue and get a 4 year degree, I need to take them or the SATs (I've found in my search that most schools take ACTs and only a few take SATs anymore...those that do take SATs seem to also take ACTs).

I registered a few months ago, and then forgot. Now I'm cramming on stuff I haven't touched in almost 7 years. I can't believe I used to know this stuff.

Strange I never took the ACT or SAT and I have 3 college degress. I went to UNM, where you live, and they did not require them. I think the reason is because I started part time in a community college and after getting an AS none of the 4 year places needed an exam result to see my performance they had real data in teh form of a sheepskin and GPA.

I even was able to do grad school with out any sort of exam. I started part time and they never asked for them.

Scott

smigaldi said:
Strange I never took the ACT or SAT and I have 3 college degress. I went to UNM, where you live, and they did not require them. I think the reason is because I started part time in a community college and after getting an AS none of the 4 year places needed an exam result to see my performance they had real data in teh form of a sheepskin and GPA.

I even was able to do grad school with out any sort of exam. I started part time and they never asked for them.

Scott
Depends on the age you started. Right out of high school, they seem to require them. If you're over a certain age, you don't need to take them any longer. No one asked for mine when I started up at 24.

Brian Austin said:
Depends on the age you started. Right out of high school, they seem to require them. If you're over a certain age, you don't need to take them any longer. No one asked for mine when I started up at 24.

I was 18 and started part time at Brevard COmmunity College in Florida. No one asked for them. When I started at a 4year school I was living in Albuquerque. Again I was part time, 20 years old and U of New Mexico did not ask for them either.

I think it depends on your student resume, age, type of school, and the enrolment criteria at the time. IT could have been as simple as neither UNM or BCC needed to see them as I hit the acceptance criteria without them.

smigaldi said:
I was 18 and started part time at Brevard COmmunity College in Florida. No one asked for them. When I started at a 4year school I was living in Albuquerque. Again I was part time, 20 years old and U of New Mexico did not ask for them either.

I think it depends on your student resume, age, type of school, and the enrolment criteria at the time. IT could have been as simple as neither UNM or BCC needed to see them as I hit the acceptance criteria without them.
True. Once started, you never need them anyway. No one looks at the scores when moving from a 2-year to 4-year institution.

My son is going through this right now. He has ACT's tomorrow too. I can't believe how competitive getting into schools is now. One of his friends scored a 35 on the ACT but is taking it again tomorrow hoping to score a 36. Good grief.

My son is a senior and he's taking them tomorrow also (for the 2nd time). He has a solo X/C on Sunday and I'm sure that won't happen. We have some real crap weather that started last night and it looks like it will last a few days.

I wasn't ready for college when I finished HS. Just wasn't motivated. My opinion is too many folks are pushed into undergraduate work right after HS. If they're ready and motivated, fine. If not, it's a waste.

The military got me focused; the courses taught were much more hands on. That's what I needed; to see the fruits of my labor rather than the esoteric, idealistic, theoretical stuff. Got a two year college equivalency in the Army. Courses there were more like trade school, but a sense of independence, achievement and financial stability came with them also.

Went back for my undergrad and continued on for my MBA, but much later in life. Got all As (one B as an undergrad) and was much more motivated and benefited much more.

Take it easy on yourself. Each of us is a little different. Some of us do much better a little later in life (we're marathoners). Some are sprinters and jump off to a great start--then level off. Some are out of our league and will do well no matter what. Others just don't make it. Don't jump in and beat yourself up if you're not on a path others are following. Do what's best for you!!

One of the hardest things we all must do in life is find out where we fit. Some find it right away. Others never find it!! The folks on this board are all talented achievers; just have to find the proper direction in which to channel their energy!!

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Great post. We're encouraging our son to apply and get accepted, then seek a one year deferment to go out and live on his own for a while before college. It would have been great for me but I didn't do it.

Thanks Chip! You know your son as well as anyone. Do what's best for him; not what some huge system has structured for the masses!!

Someone said above they could have been making a lot more money if they finished school earlier--not me. Had I forced myself to go through earlier, I wouldn't have applied myself. Probably would have gotten mediocre grades and wouldn't have gotten the real world experience I needed to get focused.

Wish you and your son the very best.

Dave

Best,

Dave

The whole thing reminds me of a guy I went to high school with. He was VERY bright but only got average grades. He went to college for about a year and dropped out to become a DJ at a local FM station. Three years later he decided to go back to school. Got his under graduate degree in three years and finished law school right after that (what a waste of a great mind :)). It ain't cookie cutter. Everyone has to make their own way.

NickDBrennan said:

It is the exact opposite out here on the east coast, SAT's are de regiuer but ACT's are the abberation, most schools accept them but none (that I know of) out here require them.

There was a great article in the Williams Alumni Review about their admissions process (Jessie is an alum; they are the "top" school in the country according to US News + World Report), and how they use those numbers as a "qualifier", but in reality they give little creedence to their value in the end. I found it refreshing in the world where they just use scores and grades as the only measure of intellect and potential. It's not online and my scanner is at work; if I get a chance I'll scan it because I think any parent who is helping their child look at college should read it and think about it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

hmm - I wish I didn't have to take the ACTs as some people got to. I am transferring from a 2 year college to a 4 year college next fall, and all the schools I've looked into require an ACT score and my college GPA.

Sure would be nice to forego the stress of a standardized test 4 years post highschool.

And the east cost thing....I looked into Daniel Webster and UMass 2 years ago. Both wanted ACT scores, or if I didn't have them, they'd take SATs. Could be because I have a New Mexico drivers license tho.

Back