Actors who fly GA

romacpher

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
romacpher
Help me out, please, fellow aviators: my editors want a day-after story on Harrison Ford pegged on actors who fly GA. Off the top, I can think of Morgan Freeman, John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie... Anyone else to add to the mix? Thanks.

Not an actor but Tim McGraw is a pilot, Cirrus made a YouTube video about him.

I believe Clint Eastwood owns and flies a helicopter.

I think there's a huge thread on this here on PoA if u search for it.

mmmmmmmmmm, Angelina Jolie...........

I hope Harrison Ford continues to fly, as I'm sure he will

shhhhhh
We are all celebrities on POA.

We just don't use our real names here.

Hey "Geico" why don't you sing a little somethin somethin for OP.

He's totally Michael Bolton...

I hate to reveal everyone's true identities here but the time has come

RyanB AKA:

Bob Cummings, Arthur Godfrey (dating myself), Patick Swayze, Arnold Palmer.

I played that kid screech on saved by the bell :(

How about Jimmy Buffet, Aaron Tippen, Alan Jackson, David Lee Roth, Craig Ferguson Kurt Russell, and Patrick Swayze who are and or were very accomplished pilots with multi, commercial, as well as instrument ratings. This list includes singers as well as actors but still sticks to the point of well-recognized serious pilots. Several of these also have their own private airports. Additionally you have Dennis and Randy Quaid, Angelina Jolie, and Lorenzo Lamas. If you want to expand to other celebrity genres you have golfers and race car drivers such as Arnold Palmer, Phil Mickelson, Mark Martin, Jack Roush (car owner), Matt Kennseth, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, Kyle Petty, and Bill Elliot.

Ooops, sorry for the repeats. Got distracted by the other half who wanted to know what I was wasting my time on today!

Last edited:
Maybe it was on another board, but I thought it was here, with a list of celebrity pilots. It was a LONG list.

One I'll add is Wayne Newton. :D

Not only Dorn from ST: TNG, but Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy's daughter used to talk about flying to SF cons with the family in his twin when she was a kid.

How about,
George Peppard
Wallace Beery
Dennis Weaver
James Lipton
Chuck Yeager
Gene Roddenberry
Wayne Morris
Kris Kristofferson
Hugh Downs
Sydney Pollack

What's the difference between being a pilot and an "avid" pilot? Do you need a special endorsement or something?

I imagine it's not hard to figure out why, but I think it's funny that everyone mentions Angelina Jolie having her license, but nobody has mentioned Brad Pitt.

What's the difference between being a pilot and an "avid" pilot? Do you need a special endorsement or something?

Pilot:
PiperPA-28-236DakotaC-GGFSPhoto4.JPG

Avid pilot:
ZK-PCM_IMG_8995-Edit.jpg

I don't know if these past and present have been mentioned:

Cliff Robertson
Morgan Freeman
Christopher Reeves (he flew much better than he could ride a horse.)
John Travolta

Last edited:
I imagine it's not hard to figure out why, but I think it's funny that everyone mentions Angelina Jolie having her license, but nobody has mentioned Brad Pitt.

Maybe because Angelina had that article many years ago in one of the fashion mags, with photos by Annie Leibovitz. Both were in the Cirrus. Annie remarked in the article that she had to be a contortionist to get the really good shots. BTW in that same article, Brad did appear in one of the photos, but he's waaay in the background.

Plus, based on overall numbers (which I learned at a USAF seminar a few months ago) 94% pilots are male. So a high-profile woman in show biz also a pilot is a rarity, and Jolie is about high-profile as you can get.

Help me out, please, fellow aviators: my editors want a day-after story on Harrison Ford pegged on actors who fly GA. Off the top, I can think of Morgan Freeman, John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie... Anyone else to add to the mix? Thanks.

More important than other actors who fly, point out that Ford put it in a place with as few people as possible to minimize both life & property damage. As pilots our responsibility, regardless of type of flying (commercial big iron or little spam cans), is to always put safety above everything else. Not just our own safety, but safety of everyone on the ground.

Thanks, everybody! Tough to get squeeze so much into 700 words, and my head is spinning after so much fact-checking. Even RyanB gets a mention. I'll post a link when it goes online.

I have to give mention, Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden.

I believe Leon Russell, the rock musician is a pilot. I heard an interview with him many years ago, and he flew a Bonanza.

Gisele Bundson, Tom Brady's model wife is a helicopter pilot. She took her lessons out of GHG.

Back