Activities for kids

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi all,

Hoping to bring my 6-year-old airplane nut son for a longer stay this year. He's been to Oshkosh every year of his life, and loves it!

We usually spend one day at KidVenture, and of course that's an obvious place to go with kids. However, today he asked if we could do some rivets at the One Week Wonder again (we did that last year).

Because of that, and wondering what I'm gonna do with him, I'm curious - For those of you who have taken your kids or observed other kids there, what have they enjoyed doing there?

Really, it's two questions:
What kid activities are there that aren't at KidVenture?
What may not be aimed at kids, but is still enjoyed by kids?

Kid venture is a must. I’ll be teaching sat am

There are other on site programs aimed at kids. The nightly ultralight fly is fun too

I'm making my do-list now. There's some stuff at the aeroeducate booth, but might be for older kids. I'm thinking my 14yo might be interested in some of it.

I did see that Vintage has a kids activity planned for several of the afternoons.

There's also the activity center where steingar teaches origami. I haven't been there either, but again the 14yo is into origami so I might drop her off there.

Last year we stumbled upon "Nextgen aviators" booth and got the kids signed up for their program. It's 4 stations 1.5hr. long, and my (at the time) 9&13yo's really enjoyed it. Six might be pushing it, but if hes into flight sims and working with tools he might be into it. It looks like they're making it part of the aeroeducate area this year and not requiring signups, which probably means you need to get there early in the AM like kidventure.

Visit AeroEducate's Partner, NEXTGEN Aviators, at the AeroEducate Center​

NEXTGEN Aviators will be offering its Introduction to Aviation Skills and Trades Skills for students in grades 6-12. No pre-registration is required and sessions in groups of six people will bein every 15 minutes.
During the hands-on, 1.5-hour experience, participants will have the opportunity to:
  • Bend sheet metal and use rivets and aircraft tools
  • Be introduced to basic wiring diagrams and electrical theory
  • Fly one of our 12 three-screen flight simulators
  • Do a mock preflight walk-around of a general aviation aircraft
Days & Times During AirVenture:
Monday through Saturday: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last session starts at 3:00 p.m.)
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (last session starts at

Oh, I see now it says grades 6-12. Reading is fundamental. bummer.

I got an email from EAA with the details and points to the below link. I thought my almost teenager was coming this year so I was watching for activity’s for him. He decided the other day he wasn’t coming . Pop by kid venture sat am where we are making rockets

https://go.eaa.org/OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMA...ZBqfZ9dTK0AZq2ZTIGmMUZWbUMszP4ZNsDZVzPfoUwU0=
Ah, that's perfect! Thank you!

My 6-year-old can't quit talking about Oshkosh, which is awesome, but I also don't want to overload him - I want it to be a great experience for him!

There was some stuff in the NASA tent last year, I think. Don't think it was the 'sit down and build something' kind of stuff like Kidventure, but my boys enjoyed seeing stuff hands-on and chatting with the engineers there - might be a little beyond what you're looking for for your kiddo at this point, though... or, maybe not based on some of the stuff I've seen you post. ha!

My kids are a little older now, but they enjoyed the bus ride out to the seaplane base and the free pontoon boat ride around the harbor.

Back