Acted as a safety pilot for my CFI - pics

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
I know many of you see this stuff daily and it's no big deal. This was my first time through and above a layer while not riding in a commercial jet. Had to take a couple shots of my first "sunset above the clouds." They looked like ocean waves. Very cool...

We did approaches to KJST and KLBE. Even though I was able to help him log some approaches for his currency, I'm SURE his intent was to introduce me to the clouds as we start my IFR training...

Something I've yet to do is an IFR flight in a GA aircraft. That's very cool. Did you find being 'in cloud' disorienting? Imagine its quite different than the little oval you get on comm. rides.

I got my first GA cloud experience riding along with a couple CFI friends. I was in the backseat of an Arrow filiming the flight. There wasn't any disorientation for me until I started moving the camera back and forth between side windows. At one point, I wondered why we were climbing. I looked up front to see the plane trimmed and level at 5k. We weren't climbing, but I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the instruments myself.

And the sites up there are really something. And popping out at 800 ft agl and seeing a runway is pretty cool. I've done some VFR practice approaches and I'm still amazed when I look up and see runway.

Looks like a beautiful day.

On top of the clouds makes you feel like you are the only one in the sky.

Back